NEED LDR ADVICE! To move on or stay :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEED LDR ADVICE! To move on or stay :(

I am need of some good advice on my 1 year and a half LDR relationship. This is my first LDR ever. A little background on my bf and I. We are both 28 and live 7 hours away from each other (Kind of). My boyfriend is currently working away from the town that I live in. Originally he is from the same town that I am from and his parents live not to far from me. When we met he was working 7 hours away and still living at his parents when he would come back home. At the beginning of our relationship he talked about wanting to buy a home eventually back in the same area where we are from and move his stuff and himself out of his parents. Fast forward to 1 1/2 year later and he is still working away, we see each other maybe 3 times a month and spend 3-4 days together each time. When he comes home we either spend time in my tiny apartment or at his parents. We have looked at some homes together but there doesn't seem to be much in the area, and we want to stay close to where I live.

I am at the point in our relationship where I want it to move forward. I know he will not be returning back to the area for at least another year or so. We have talked about where our relationship stands and we have both agreed that we are not wasting each others time and that we do want this to lead to marriage and kids one day. We have talked about getting engaged and he wants us to get a home first and then get engaged. I personally do not like this idea. I would really want a ring first before making a huge commitment of buying a home with someone (Ive had bad past experiences with exes where we jumped into getting things together too soon to then end up with no commitment and broken up). The problem is lately he doesn't seem to be "in a hurry" (his words) to buy a home now. He says something will come up eventually and that he isn't in a hurry to jump into a home that he wont be happy with (which I completely understand).
    (Currently when he comes home, I am getting a little irritated of almost always having his parents around when we spend time together at their place, I feel like we should have our own place even if it means me living alone until he is done working away. He would have his own home to come back to on weekends, and we wouldn't have to have his parents around all the time)

My thought is what do I do? Do I keep waiting for him to decide when or what home to buy? Do I keep going with this relationship when (in my eyes) I feel like we aren't "moving forward"? I don't want to be selfish but I have been in previous relationships where I waited 4+ years, gave my everything to them, just to end up with no ring, no marriage, no nothing. Am I being selfish for wanting more of a commitment (a ring) to feel there is reason for me to wait? I feel like I have found the one for me, but at 28 I just feel like I don't want to waste anymore time. I want to have kids and I know my biological clock is ticking too! He has told me before very genuinely that if he didn't see himself marrying me or being the mother of his children he wouldn't be with me. So what is he waiting for! Help!
    Last edited by Crissy; January 22, 2016, 11:52 AM.

I feel like you're waiting on him to do everything when you yourself can move forward and get things moving. If you love him and know you guys want to get married why shouldn't you make the commitment to buy a house. It takes time to save up for a ring and that money and time could be spent trying to find you guys a home. is there any reason you guys can't sort of meet in the middle and find a house closer to where he is but also not to far away from where you're living now? that seems like the most logical explanation if you don't want to move all the way over to him and want your own place together while still staying close-ish to where you are. Or you can as you say give up and move on. But if you really love this man and want to be with him you have to make sacrifices.
    my girls <3

Josie (SO)
    Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
    Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
    Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
    Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
    Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
    Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
    Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
    All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Originally posted by kittyxuchiha11 View Post
      I feel like you're waiting on him to do everything when you yourself can move forward and get things moving. If you love him and know you guys want to get married why shouldn't you make the commitment to buy a house. It takes time to save up for a ring and that money and time could be spent trying to find you guys a home. is there any reason you guys can't sort of meet in the middle and find a house closer to where he is but also not to far away from where you're living now? that seems like the most logical explanation if you don't want to move all the way over to him and want your own place together while still staying close-ish to where you are. Or you can as you say give up and move on. But if you really love this man and want to be with him you have to make sacrifices.
      Thanks for your response!.. He wants to move back to where we are from, this job he is working at now isn't long term and he wants to move "back home" when he is done out there. He has made it clear it has to be around the area where I am now. I feel like I have taken steps to try and move this along by calling realtors on homes and such. On the saving up for a ring, he is well off for 28. He can spend thousands of dollars on hunting/fishing in an instant so I know saving up for a ring isn't an issue.... I do agree that I am waiting on him to do things, but only because I feel like buying a home is something that we need to do together..

Comment

I think that before bying property together, it would be good to rent together for a while. Do what you can. Dont be more eager to "close the distance" and "get married" than to spend time with him. Explain to him why this means a lot to you, and listen to his reasons. A good relationship means seeing things from the other's perspective...
        I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
        - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I definitely agree with DC. You should maybe rent something together first before you make the big leap to buying. Selling a house can be tough, but you always (well, not always really, but still) break your lease, or sublet.

Comment

I feel like I have found the one for me, but at 28 I just feel like I don't want to waste anymore time. I want to have kids and I know my biological clock is ticking too! He has told me before very genuinely that if he didn't see himself marrying me or being the mother of his children he wouldn't be with me. So what is he waiting for! Help!
            It's your choice to stay in the relationship or not...Communicate with your SO...it seems like his needs are being met so maybe that's why things are at a standstill?
            All the best to you.

Comment

Working...
            X