Visa help please for scotland!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visa help please for scotland!

So my SO and I planned for me to visit him in Scotland for the summer, roughly june- August. I am from the USA and I visited him in January for 20 days. Since we plan to be together for that long my SO will still have his job and be working full time and I would need a way to have income (and also not just sit around all week). I've been looking up work visas and the only one I could find was if I was sponsored by a job and idk how to do that. Do any of you know about this or what I can do? I've also considered just simply visiting and trying to find a job that pays under the table or a babysitting position but I don't know how feasible that is, my SO didn't seem to optimistic. I even suggested if he asked his job since he knew people if they would hire under the table but both of us expressed concern if that would be too much time together (living and working) i'd be willing to do that but I don't want to push him. Worst comes to worse I would just visit for a lesser amount of time but it would be really sad for me to go from a 3 month visit to maybe a 1 month visit. That's still a long time I know but I would still be sad.

You cannot come over and work without a working visa. In order to get one, you need to be sponsored by a company and you need to be earning a minimum of £35,000.00.

If you decide to work "under the table" you risk being sent back home, the employer would get a massive fine and you would not be able to enter the UK again.

Seeing as your visit is quite a way off, take the time to think about what you want to do. Are you happy to cut the length of the visit down? A month is still a long time. If I could, I'd stay with my SO for 3 months, I wouldn't care if he was at work all day. Just the thought of him coming home to me every evening would be enough for me.

Comment

I know we're all desperate on here to see our SO's and spend as much time a them as we can, but breaking visa rules to do so is incredibly stupid.

1. If you get caught, you'd probably never be allowed a visa again. Is it worth risking not being able to visit your SO again?

2. The sort of employers who will employ people 'under the table' are also breaking the law and often are the ones who also break all sort of other employment laws too. You'd be putting yourself at risk by doing so. Also, by encouraging your SO to ask he's probably going to risk his own job.

3. There is a reason why laws like this exist and it isn't to stop us seeing loved ones. It's so companies pay their taxes and national insurance payments for employees (and of course so the employee pays their share too). I'd assume by visiting the UK you'll be using our roads, our services etc... they are paid for by tax contributions so if you're earning money from our economy then you should pay back in.

Seriously, save up and come on a tourist visa. Or find a job and work visa the legal way.

Comment

Can't give you any advice as to the visa issue, other than to echo what's already been said. I definitely wouldn't be taking any risks that might put future visits in jeopardy.

Originally posted by Unicorn26 View Post
        If I could, I'd stay with my SO for 3 months, I wouldn't care if he was at work all day. Just the thought of him coming home to me every evening would be enough for me.
        ^ this.

I just got back from a three month stay with my SO, but we're the opposite way round from you - I'm from Scotland and he lives in Vancouver, WA. I visited through the VWP and even though he still had to work during the time I was there, it was so, so worth it just to know that he was coming back to me at the end of each day, that I got to fall asleep next to him and wake with him every morning. We did lots of stuff in the evening and on the weekends, and he took a couple of days off at times for us to go on mini trips together. Maybe your SO would be able to take some leave while you're visiting?

Comment

A close friend of mine overstayed in the USA and it ruined her life. Don't do it, it's incredibly immature, irrational and not in the slightest bit sensible. She regrets it every day of her life. I've done long trips to the US in the past (89 days, 6 weeks etc). Just do that, go back and figure out if you can get a work visa.
          Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
          All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Working...
          X