Short layover in Schipol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short layover in Schipol

I'm looking at flights and trying to organise a surprise visit to my guy this summer, I'll be flying UK to USA. I've found a flight that would fit in perfectly with my plans and gets in at a decent time over, but the layover is only one hour and twenty minutes at Schipol. I'm unfamiliar with the airport, so I'm not sure if this is enough time to get to where I need to be. I'd be flying Edinburgh - Amsterdam - Portland. Does anyone have any experience with such a short layover for an international flight?

I would not use such a short layover in an airport I was not familiar with. I

have only been at Schipol twice, many years ago, but I remember it as being chaotic and hard to find my gate.
    I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
    - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I had a layover at Schipol in November, with a typical 2 or 2.5 hour time. but because of wind in Amsterdam, my flight from Helsinki was quite delayed. I got there with something like 25 minutes until boarding closed, and that's a damn big airport i had to literally run through. I made it, but only because they were delaying many take-offs that had delayed originating flights. I'm a really good traveller, but that was. not. fun. If your flight leaves on time, you should be OK though, but stuff happens Did I learn my lesson? NOPE! My flight next week only has a 45 minute layover in Iceland, but that airport is awesome, only a terminal and a half big.
      Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

If everything goes according to plan with your flight, I really don't see it being a problem. The airport is big, but not THAT big. I'm not sure if you would end up in a different part of the airport due to the US flight needing more security, but considering I have arrived at the airport to fly to the US 2 hours before hand and its always way too much time, I would hope that you would have enough time to get to your gate.

Comment

I've never had a layover on Schiphol but I'm very familiar with the airport. It really isn't that huge or chaotic, but it can be very busy and walking distances can take up to about 20 minutes if you're unlucky with gates. The US has set security standards for flights in their direction, so depending on how busy it is that may take you a while to get through. If I were you, I'd study a floor plan so you are a bit familiar with the gates. There are of course always people to help you in the right direction. And maybe ask the staff on your first flight if you can get off the plane as one of the first people because you have a short layover. Like MissingMyDutchLove, I'm always at airports way too early and then security goes super fast... It really depends! It should definitely be doable though, good luck!

Comment

I've changed at Schipol to get the the US before and I think it is doable in that amount of time IF everything runs on time which is quite unpredictable. I quite like the airport and found it easy to navigate. It does have some quirky little features like a museum and those fish pedicure tanks from what I recall!

Also I'm pretty sure it's all in one building. Not like Heathrow or Manchester where you have to change terminals for different airlines.

Comment

Thanks guys

My main concern is *if* there were any delays, that it would totally screw up my entire plan to surprise my SO. I'm one of those people that likes to be places in plenty of time, so cutting it close worries me a lot! I wasn't sure either, if I'd be required to go through security again at Schipol, as when I flew Edinburgh - Heathrow - Seattle, I only went through security once and that was at the beginning of my journey in Edinburgh. I was a little surprised by that, but if it was the same at Schipol, then I reckon I could potentially be okay.

I think I may need to think about it a little more before buying tickets yet. I also know someone who works for Delta and flies through Schipol when she's coming back here to visit, so I might ask her some advice too.

Comment

I did Leeds-Schipol-Philadelphia-Norfolk, VA and I'm pretty sure I had to go through security in Schipol too as Leeds-Schipol just counted as an EU flight not a true international one. It's a while ago now and I've been through that many airports they merge into one but I think I had to leave the plane go through the EU arrivals desk in Schipol and then through the security onto the US flight.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                  Also I'm pretty sure it's all in one building. Not like Heathrow or Manchester where you have to change terminals for different airlines.
                  Yup, that is right. Also, you arrive in a Schengen area terminal. Since you go to the US, you have to go through passport control to get to your terminal. Security for US-bound flights is different than for EU flights, so I'm 99% sure you'll have to go through it again. Which airline are you flying in with? I know that Easyjet always lands in a terminal with the longest walking distance.
                  If it's a single ticket, it's at risk of the airline. If you or your luggage (also an option) gets delayed, they have to take care of it. Either way, you'll get to your destination. If it's two separate tickets and you're worried, definitely do not do it. If you get stuck you'll have to pay for everything yourself. It also depends on the time of day, if it's early or late it's way more quiet than in the middle of the day.

You can find a map here: https://www.schiphol.com/Travellers/AtSchiphol/Maps.htm

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                    I did Leeds-Schipol-Philadelphia-Norfolk, VA and I'm pretty sure I had to go through security in Schipol too as Leeds-Schipol just counted as an EU flight not a true international one. It's a while ago now and I've been through that many airports they merge into one but I think I had to leave the plane go through the EU arrivals desk in Schipol and then through the security onto the US flight.
                    Yeah, when I flew from Edinburgh to Seattle, I disembarked at Heathrow to make my connection to Seattle. But I definitely didn't go through security again when I was travelling Heathrow to Seattle. I'm not sure if that's because it was all on one ticket, or if that's just standard procedure. I was expecting to have to go through security again before travelling on to the US leg of my flight, so I was a little surprised not to.

The flight I'm looking at gets into Schipol from Edinburgh at 0835, and the flight to the US is scheduled to leave at 1005. It's one ticket booked through Delta, although the Edinburgh- Schipol leg is operated by KLM and the Schipol - Portand is operated by Delta. It's also on a Monday, so I'm not sure if that would make any difference or not. The other thing i had considered, was flying into Schipol the day before and staying in a hotel overnight to make sure that I'll definitely be able to make the flight the next day. Because it's to surprise my guy for his birthday, this is the only flight that gets in at the right time of day into Portland to make it all work and I'm not sure I want to risk missing my connection.

Comment

Originally posted by littlewingxx View Post
                      Yeah, when I flew from Edinburgh to Seattle, I disembarked at Heathrow to make my connection to Seattle. But I definitely didn't go through security again when I was travelling Heathrow to Seattle. I'm not sure if that's because it was all on one ticket, or if that's just standard procedure. I was expecting to have to go through security again before travelling on to the US leg of my flight, so I was a little surprised not to.

The flight I'm looking at gets into Schipol from Edinburgh at 0835, and the flight to the US is scheduled to leave at 1005. It's one ticket booked through Delta, although the Edinburgh- Schipol leg is operated by KLM and the Schipol - Portand is operated by Delta. It's also on a Monday, so I'm not sure if that would make any difference or not. The other thing i had considered, was flying into Schipol the day before and staying in a hotel overnight to make sure that I'll definitely be able to make the flight the next day. Because it's to surprise my guy for his birthday, this is the only flight that gets in at the right time of day into Portland to make it all work and I'm not sure I want to risk missing my connection.
                      The difference is Edinburgh and Heathrow are both in the UK so you didn't actually leave the country on that leg.

Comment

Yeah, that was my thinking. I guess I'll ruminate on it a bit before I go ahead and book anything

Comment

Generally if there are delays and such you don't have to worry too much because whoever you're flying with will try place you on the next flight if you had delays which were so severe you missed your flight by a lot. Also layovers are usually designed so you'll have more than enough time to get around the airport and where you need to be. I'm going to see my SO in June and i have two layovers, one in Paris and one is Seattle and they're both very short layover times, only an hour each to be exact and i have to admit i'm a little worried about them. but i'm just sort of trusting the airline and hoping they really do know best.
                          my girls <3

Josie (SO)
                          Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
                          Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
                          Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
                          Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
                          Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
                          Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
                          Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
                          All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

Originally posted by kittyxuchiha11 View Post
                            Generally if there are delays and such you don't have to worry too much because whoever you're flying with will try place you on the next flight if you had delays which were so severe you missed your flight by a lot. Also layovers are usually designed so you'll have more than enough time to get around the airport and where you need to be. I'm going to see my SO in June and i have two layovers, one in Paris and one is Seattle and they're both very short layover times, only an hour each to be exact and i have to admit i'm a little worried about them. but i'm just sort of trusting the airline and hoping they really do know best.
                            Charles de Gaulle? I had an hour layover there once and it was horrible haha, not to scare you... Our luggage didn't make it in time, and we had to run because the airport is gigantic. So even if you make it, it's probable that your luggage won't...

Comment

Many thanks to you all for your input/advice. I think I may have solved my problem though, and have found a ticket that will have me arrive at Schipol the night before. I'm going to check in to one of the airport hotels and that way I can be sure that I'll be ready and where I need to be for my flight to PDX the next day. I absolutely hate being in a rush, so I think doing it this way will be better for my sanity! I'm so excited to surprise my SO, that I'd be heartbroken if I missed the connecting flight. I can't wait to see his face when I turn up unexpectedly!

Comment

Working...
                              X