Visiting the UK While Engaged

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Visiting the UK While Engaged

I'd like to visit my s/o for a month or so before coming back to the US to work until we can apply for my marriage visa (hopefully by early next year!), but I've read a few stories of American women in similar circumstances not being given entry clearance on the basis that they see a risk of me not returning to the US like I say I will. I've only been to the UK once before prior to our engagement, so I'm not sure if that would be enough evidence for them that I'll return like I'm saying.

I'm very paranoid about being turned away at the border especially since it could affect our visa application later on... does anyone have similar experiences with this? Do you think I should just not risk it?

Just don't mention that you're engaged. There is literally no legal difference between being together and being engaged, once you're married this changes, but until then you can just use the exact same reason you used the last time you came to visit.
    I was engaged on my third visit, but I didn't mention it to the officers, nor would I have told them I am visiting my boyfriend, but they questioned me why I visited so frequently :P

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

If you have not applied for a marriage visa yet, there is no reason to mention that you are (informally) engaged.

Also, international visits for 1 month is nothing, both SO and I have done it without any issues, they are just grateful you didn't come for 3 months because that is like pushing the boundries a bit.

The fact that you have only visited the UK once before is a good thing, people are more suspicious towards frequent visitors (like me. I have been questioned so many times I know what to say now)
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Just make sure you have an address. My SO left his phone on the flight (he is so bad at doing this) and my address was on there. Since he only sends mail a few times and had never been here before he couldn't remember it and they were going to detain him. He said he was coming to see me for 9 days and then had to go back home for work.
        Engaged Dec 2015!! Visa approved June 2016 . Married July 18th 2016 <3

Home is where the heart is and my home will always be with my love.
        All the way from England to the USA.

Comment

Working...
        X