Engagement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engagement?

How long was everyone together before an engagement happened?

My SO and I dated for 6 months, broke up for 18 and have been back together almost 2 1/2 years. We talked about marriage very soon in the relationship, after a few months when we were together the first time. He bought the engagement ring then. (It's custom made, designed by him.) When we got back together, we started discussing it again. We decided last year that we will get married this coming November 9th. I would say it was about a year and a half in we actually set and confirmed the date and that is when I say we were officially engaged. We haven't seen each other since we set the date, so my ring is still sitting in IN with him.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

We don't have any rings, but we talk as if we are engaged. In Turkey, I am often reffered to as "gelin" (the bride - I take it they mean the bride to be). We started to talk about marriage early on, like crazy early. He said "But how can I marry you?" and I said "I don't know if you can legally, but I will find the thing closest to it". We had known each other for two weeks at that point, dating a couple of days in person. He talkes about marriage from time to time and he loves if when others refer to me as his fiance. We can't afford rings or a party right now, as we are paying off debt and saving up for the future. I hope we can when our economy is more stable.

If push comes to show, my husband will divorce me so I can legally marry my boyfriend, but that is our plan just if everything else fails. I will be part in starting up a polyamory NGO in my country, to work for among other things plural marriage.
      Last edited by differentcountries; April 24, 2016, 08:08 AM.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

We were together for a year and 1 month.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

My SO and I talk about the future quite regularly, and anytime I have an anxiety attack or get stressed over the distance he says " I'm not going anywhere, I'm in this for the long haul". We've talked about getting married someday and possibly a baby if we're still able to. I'm wanting to have that commitment even from a distance Idk kinda ease my mind but I'm more than willing to wait and not ask girls about it either. One of his friends told me that he told her that by Christmas he Is thinking of asking me so I'm excited to see if it happens but like I said not going to mention it lol

Comment

We were together for 4.5 years when we got engaged and got married 9 months later!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
            Married April 18th, 2015!!
            Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

Was all of that long distance? If so how did you manage lol. We have only been been doing distance for 7 months and it's driving us crazy. There's a huge possibility that we will have to be in this distance wise for another year because of things on my my end and I don't even know how that will be possible.

Comment

Yes it was all LDR. Except for visits. We didn't close the distance until 5 months after getting married! How did we manage? It was hard, and quite long but we pushed through and made it happen. It's what we wanted and we were BOTH willing to fight for it. Every bit of it was totally worth it!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                Married April 18th, 2015!!
                Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

We were together for almost two years before I proposed to my SO. It was just one of those things, and I know I'm with the right person. It's going to take some time with me getting to Norway, but it'll all be worth it.
                  "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
                  Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
                  Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
                  Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
                  Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
                  Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

Comment

That's awesome 😃

Comment

We have been doing this for almost four years, and got "officially engaged" 18 months ago. Our first wedding plans fell through, and although we can get married at anytime, and neither of us wants a big wedding, I guess we will be getting married in the next few months. Maybe over the summer......
                      sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

We dated for 4 years, and now we decided to live together.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
                          We have been doing this for almost four years, and got "officially engaged" 18 months ago. Our first wedding plans fell through, and although we can get married at anytime, and neither of us wants a big wedding, I guess we will be getting married in the next few months. Maybe over the summer......
                          Update! We got married in JULY, on the beach with a weekend long reception! Tons of fun with our family and closest friends!
                          sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

We dated for 6 long years!!

Comment

One year!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X