Mini Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini Book Club

So, my SO and I have been having our own personal "book club" together. It gives us something to talk about when we hit slumps in correspondence. Originally we intended to use it for our long hand letters on the 10th of each month but at the moment it hasn't been an issue, so we just discuss it - though, another thread here recommended a personal Facebook group and now we've moved our book discussions to there.

So, we started with the Federalist Papers. We're both political science majors but since we focused on international relations we didn't ever have to read Federalist Papers in college and both felt we should. We read a few of the papers and then we discuss them together.

It really was his idea - when we were together for the 6 months between my evacuation of my 1st Peace Corps country and leaving for my new country - we spent a lot of time reading out loud to each other - an idea I stole from 19th century dating - we started that with Harry Potter when I discovered he stopped reading after the 5th book - then we read the Martian on a road trip - well I read it since he drove because I hate driving - awesome book BTW I totally recommend it!. He said he liked sharing a story together and wanted to continue while I was abroad. We'd love to still do the reading out loud but it's not gonna be feasible with my communication situation. But that could be something that you do too if you have good communication capability.

Anyway, thought I'd throw the idea out for you all. It really helps us feel connected - we're both reading the same book and we're sharing our thoughts about it.

I really like this idea. My SO and I were trying to do the same thing, the issue is that he reads so much faster than me! It's kind of funny and doesn't take away from the convo too much except when he accidentally spoils something for me.

Comment

Good choice with the Federalist papers!

My SO and I 'swapped' favorite books (got ebooks or copies of said books). He got a copy of Les Miserables, I read Count of Monte Cristo.

Currently I am rereading the Sherlock Holmes stories while SO is reading Don Quixote. We don't have much time for leisure reading due to work/study, so we send each other articles instead.

Comment

Working...
      X