Advice on how to save instead of spend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on how to save instead of spend?

Hi! I'm starting a job soon in a couple weeks. I'm planning on saving up so I can buy a plane ticket so that I can visit my boyfriend, who lives in the US. But, I've always been a spender. I've never been able to save, and I really want to be able to save my money up so that I can buy a ticket ASAP. Does anyone have any tips on how to save up money, instead of spending it impulsively? Thank you!

I have never been a spender, but I think the best idea is to devise a plan beforehand?
    Like calculate how much money you really need for yourself and how much you have to spend no matter what. Then make a rule to not spend a single penny besides that. Put the rest on a bank account or something.
    Also, try to include only essential things into that calculated essential money. And I don't know it's probably hard to get a realistic idea beforehand, but maybe pay attention for the first month, like make notes of whenever you spent extra money and whenever it was for something essential.
    Either way, planning is the key, I think. Or being naturally stingy.

Comment

It totally depends what you currently use your money for. I am not going to give you tips on how to save money on dinners and transportation, since I assume you live and home and get the everyday expenses covered by your parents.

Generally; look at the areas where you spend and find ways to reduce or cut out those things. Do you buy a lot of coffee or sodas during the week? Bring your own from home, or simply drink water. Do you go out a lot to see movies? Have a movie night with your friends at home. Do you like to buy lots of expensive clothes? Find cheaper brands, go on sales, use what you have got in new ways instead of buying more etc.

I have never been good at calculating, so my saving tip - besides using your bank account to save for you montly - is to try to become a stingy person. Like, spend on gifts for others and donations if you do that (dont be stingy enough to not be a giver), but not so much on yourself. Dont hang at the mall or spend time brouching online shops. Just dont.

Also, the best way to save is to earn more money. where do you get your money from today? Can you take on jobs and assignments that pay, to add to your income?
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Being 16 I would guess you have little to no experience with money. If you are living at home under the care of your parents be wise and ask them how to go about saving money. Turn off /delete the apps on your phone or computer that allow you to buy with "one click". Also don't try to compete with your friends to see who can buy the newest or most wanted items (focus on your goal). Good luck to you.
        Last edited by Elizabeth123; June 12, 2016, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Open a separate savings account and have your employer direct deposit a certain amount, say $25, from each paycheck to that account. This way it's not readily in your hands. Don't get an atm card for the account either. This way, if you want to take the money out, you will actually have to go to the bank to get it out. It will kind of be, out of sight - out of mind. You also don't get used to having these funds to spend either.
          To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

The way I, and a few of my friends, save money is by having a separate bank account to put a little of the money in each month. As someone who's living at home i only spend £150 on 'rent' which i give to my mum every month. I try to spend no more than £100 on transport and activities/shopping, and to stop myself spending anymore i normally transfer all my left over money into my other bank account. if you have that other account sort of designated as your savings account and think of it as money you can only access in a total emergency it's a lot easier and you'll be a lot less likely to spend it. Really limit yourself to the bare minimum of what you need to spend to get by and save the rest and you'll be on that way to buying that plane ticket before you know it.
            Good luck! :3
            my girls <3

Josie (SO)
            Met online ~ 17th August 2017 ~
            Met in person ~ 30th August 2017 ~
            Became official ~ 15th September 2017 ~
            Closed the distance and moved in together! ~ 18th June 2018 ~

Ash
            Met online ~ 21st November 2018 ~
            Met in person ~ 26th November 2018 ~
            Became official ~ 4th December 2018 ~
            All moved in together! ~ 30th May 2019 ~

Comment

I have to agree, pay yourself first. Pick an amount and call it "Bill Air" or something and "pay" that bill for 10, 20, 30 dollars a month by having an auto deduct from your checking to savings account and put your savings debit card away somewhere you can't access when out and about. Capital One 360 is a great bank for this since I don't even have a card for my savings account and it allows me to have a recurring transfer from checking to savings on 5th ( or whatever date you pick) of each month.
              "Remember not only to say the right thing in the right place, but far more difficult still, to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. "
              Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Yes, totally agree with paying your self directly from your wages. I have a direct debit set up from my current account to savings that comes out on pay day. I just budget for less pay but the extra is in the savings account.

Comment

Originally posted by R&R View Post
                  Open a separate savings account and have your employer direct deposit a certain amount, say $25, from each paycheck to that account. This way it's not readily in your hands. Don't get an atm card for the account either. This way, if you want to take the money out, you will actually have to go to the bank to get it out. It will kind of be, out of sight - out of mind. You also don't get used to having these funds to spend either.
                  This!!

Comment

I found a good way to not spend money is to leave your debit card at home and only have a set amount of cash on you - this way you won't make big purchases impulsively.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                    Married: 1/24/2015
                    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Instead of going out to eat, you should make breakfast, lunch and dinner, and take the money you would spend and put it into a savings account.

Comment

Working...
                      X