Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flying for the first time and alone, advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying for the first time and alone, advice?

Hey, I'm (likely) visiting my partner in mid/late August until very early September. I haven't booked tickets yet but I hope to ASAP.

Visiting would probably be a breeze if I had flown before, but I haven't, and I'll be flying alone without anyone to really guide me, you know? I'll have my mom to help me navigate the airport, but I'll be on my own from the gate to when my partner's family picks me up. I have a crazy amount of anxiety over all the things I don't know about flying.
    Any advice and/or happy first time flying stories are greatly appreciated!
    I would like input on what to do in the plane. Are there important announcements to listen for or can I wear headphones? What about bathrooms? I hear a lot about staying hydrated on flights but I'd be afraid to drink much before/during it because I don't want to have to pee if there's no bathroom. What about other suggestions on things a newbie might not know about? It will likely be a 7+ hour flight (SFO to LGA)
    Also, does anyone have elaborate/specific checklists on what to bring in my carry-on/checked luggage? I'm a total checklist person and can't think of many specifics on my own.

Thanks in advance

As you are only 14, you will be required to fly as an unaccompanied minor. When your parents purchase your tickets, you will be listed as such and this means your parents can come through the security check point and gates with you. You will wear a special pass that shows that you need to be guided by a flight attendant. Upon arrival in NY, your SO's parents will come through the security checkpoint and meet you at the gate. The flight attendant can't leave you until they have arrived and provided identification that they are there to pick you up. The whole process goes in reverse on the way back. When my kids flew alone, we always put them on a direct flight so they didn't have to switch planes.

I try not to bring anything but my carry on. I have my laptop and my clothes. As you are staying with your SO, your probably only need your toothbrush and deodorant for personal items. There are bathrooms on the plane - one at the front and one at the back.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Read up on what is and isn't allowed. If you are packing and taking a carry on, I always pack a change of clothes and stuff I NEED in the carry on. Just in case luggage is misplaced. Don't pack water or drinks etc. you have to throw them out if they are over 2 ounces.. Buy shampoo etc when you get there.
      Yes, there are bathrooms, but they are tiny. And you get water and drinks on the plane, so drink water to stay hydrated. Get an aisle seat so you can get up and move easier.
      As Rand R said, you are a minor, so you will have help with you...

Comment

I like Plane rides. I echo what the other ladies said. You can bring little snacks, like a couple fruit roll ups and maybe small bags of chips. Some planes offer snacks, but some don't. Also, some offer snacks at an extra cost (anything to get money out of you ). Definitely do research with whatever airline you choose, and if you're not sure, call and ask.

As for the headphones and whatnot, they tell you on the plane when you can and can not use them. Obviously, you have to take them out when they're showing you the safety things, and when you're taking off. They have a light that tells you, and they make an announcement on the intercom. Afterwards until you're about to land, you can sit there and listen to music, watch a movie (whatever they decide to play), use your laptop/cellphone with the wifi, take a nap, etc.

If you pick a seat towards the end of the plane, you will be the first called to board, but the last to get off the plane.

Edit: I Googled what you could and couldn't bring onto a plane. I'm like you, I like knowing everything and making lists.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...ohibited-items <~~~ Lol. If you check the Food section, you can bring a whole pie or cake in your carry-on no problem. Lmao.
        https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0ab468d9e9ffd
        Last edited by whatruckus; July 7, 2016, 08:08 AM.

Comment

Sorry random point....I find it incredible that you can fly for 7hrs and still be in the USA. If I drive for 7hours in most directions I end up in the sea

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
            Sorry random point....I find it incredible that you can fly for 7hrs and still be in the USA. If I drive for 7hours in most directions I end up in the sea
            Lmao. I think to drive from coast to coast it's like 30+ hours or so. It's probably more though with stops.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
              In my home country if you drive 3h in a straight line you'll end up in the sea, regardless of direction or where you started from :P
              So, here you are
              too foreign for home
              too foreign for here.
              Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Also, try to go nonstop....flight time is 5 .5 hours or so....
                Bring headsets as planes have free ones, but they kinda suck. Also, United has direct tv and movie choices so that helps. Just need a credit card to swipe. They will interrupt and talk over when you are plugged into their system. Or bring an iPad or tablet and read or watch your own stuff.
                Last edited by sasad; July 7, 2016, 05:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by whatruckus View Post
                  Lmao. I think to drive from coast to coast it's like 30+ hours or so. It's probably more though with stops.
                  Coast to coast takes over 2 days. I've done the drive twice - NH to CA and back. We only got a hotel one night. It takes me 15 hours just to get to IN.
                  To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Originally posted by Ejoriah View Post
                    In my home country if you drive 3h in a straight line you'll end up in the sea, regardless of direction or where you started from :P
                    OK you win

Mine is only ruined by the channel tunnel!

Comment

Working...
                    X