Engagement rings!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engagement rings!

Ok so the other night Sam and I were talking about engagement rings and what type I'd like so he'll know what to get when the time comes ♥ Anyway, my.. taste has apparently changed within a few months because before I wanted a golden ring but now.. I'm guessing I'd prefer a white gold one and I just started wondering..

What kind of an engagement ring would you all want? Do you want gold, silver, white gold? One diamond, many diamonds or no diamonds at all? Or have you even thought about that?

Let's have a girly talk about engagement rings Guys are free to participate too though

Here's a few that I quite like

I don't want a massive diamond on mine but I used to not want a diamond like that at all and now I think it (especially the first one) looks kinda nice and I might want a ring like that Would like to have a pretty simple one

Ahhh, can't wait to see what kind of a ring he'll get me

I would love a blue topaz for engagement ring because thats my birthstone
    So the stone would obviously be a blue topaz then the ring itself would be silver since blue and silver look great together
    And as for the shape, i like square but circles are okay
    One of these two would be my ideal engagement ring :

Comment

lol, I'd prefer silver, but I'd prefer something small and simple. I don't know what else. Just simple. ^^

Comment

I want one like this. heart shaped diamond and silver or platinum band.

Comment

Hmm, I want something shinny and silver or white gold I'll find a picture soon!

Comment

I want platinum because it's high quality. Silver warps too easily, white gold needs to be professionally cleaned every year or so. I want something easy to take care of and will keep its integrity in shape.

I want a single diamond, round cut, small (less than 0.5 carat) and set low because I have to wear gloves all the time. Nothing fancy.

And I want the diamond to be certified as being ethically acquired. Preferably Canadian. Or lab-created. In addition to all the sketchiness surrounding African diamonds, according to a few mining engineer friends, several diamond producers create scarcity by dumping tons of diamonds into the sea.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

All that I have ever wanted was a platinum, princess (square) cut, solitaire. And thats what I got. One thing I especially love about it, is it has a nice low profile, and most princess cut settings are sky high. Rane got a really good price on it, because it was already in my size, and because I am not the original owner. Which is fine with me, I love a rock with some history hehe. I adore my ring. Wouldn't change a thing.

Comment

Eventhough I'd love some beautiful ring like this ones:

Tho I wouldnt really want him to spend much money on it cause I wouldnt be able to wear it often cause of its size lol Plus I'd rather have us have nice weddin rings and a spend a lil more on that.

Comment

I really want a green gemstone, although I don't really have a preference as to which one because I know my sweetheart will be picking out just the right one. It's funny, he's very insistent that I have yellow gold and a green gemstone, and I think yellow gold is just fine, so I look forward to seeing what he picks. XD He has excellent taste, so I'm not worried, although I'm sure he'll want some recommendations.

Oh hey, for all of you wanting silver bands, just something to consider... silver is a very soft metal in terms of durability, and you may want to switch to white gold, which looks the same but will stand up to everyday wear. Most silver bands, after everyday wear for a few years, will start carrying scratches, nicks, and even bend out of shape if you're really rough on jewelry. IF you REALLY want silver, I mean, don't let me stop you, just be forewarned there's a good chance you'll have to reshape it/buff it every few years.

LFAD Book Challenge: 34/100 Complete

Comment

garnet: That's a beautiful ring Thanks for showing it!

Silviar: Yeah, I've heard that about silver too, that's why I'd want mine to be white gold, because I prefer the colour instead of gold.

I'd like my diamond(s) to be clear and not colourful, makes it more simple looking

Haven't really thought about platinum.. wonder if it's a lot more expensive than white gold for example..? Guess he wouldn't mind if it was but if white gold is almost as good (the quality) as platinum then I might just want that..

Ahhh, love looking at engagement rings! and dreaming.. wondering how, when and where..

Comment

Originally posted by Silviar View Post
                      Oh hey, for all of you wanting silver bands, just something to consider... silver is a very soft metal in terms of durability, and you may want to switch to white gold, which looks the same but will stand up to everyday wear. Most silver bands, after everyday wear for a few years, will start carrying scratches, nicks, and even bend out of shape if you're really rough on jewelry. IF you REALLY want silver, I mean, don't let me stop you, just be forewarned there's a good chance you'll have to reshape it/buff it every few years.
                      Haven't really thought about platinum.. wonder if it's a lot more expensive than white gold for example..? Guess he wouldn't mind if it was but if white gold is almost as good (the quality) as platinum then I might just want that..
                      Platinum is way expensive (boo), but it's a LOT stronger than white gold and silver. The major drawback of white gold is that it tarnishes easily, so you'll have to be good about cleaning it every year or so.

If you look for it, I've got a sneaking suspicion...love actually is all around

Comment

Originally posted by squiddie View Post
                        Platinum is way expensive (boo), but it's a LOT stronger than white gold and silver. The major drawback of white gold is that it tarnishes easily, so you'll have to be good about cleaning it every year or so.
                        I'm not sure where you heard that white gold tarnishes easily, but I have to respectfully disagree with you. Silver can and does, particularly depending on what karatage level you're talking, but the benefit of gold is it doesn't tarnish easily. With white gold, the rhodium it's plated with can sometimes wear, which means it will eventually need replating.

Here's a really good quickie description about different types of metals - https://www.bluenile.com/gold-jewelry/gold-education

I hope this helps.

And agreed about platinum - the metal is ridiculously expensive.

Comment

If you go antique, platinum becomes a whole lot more reasonable, and you get a one of a kind ring too. Some of the older styles are just gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by elina View Post
                            garnet: That's a beautiful ring Thanks for showing it!
                            Thank you! I will have to post my grandmothers ring that she left me when she passed away too, and the band I found on ebay that is a freak match. I love older rings. Hers has a good story behind it too.

ETA (And I apologize for going semi OT!): Here is my grandmothers engagement ring. My grandfather was in the army, in the war. He served with a man from New York who owned a jewelry store. My grandfather wanted to propose, so he gave this man $200, and got the promise that when they were able to go home, he would send him a ring. So time passes, and he makes good on his word. It's platinum, half carat center stone, .25 carat marquise stones on the sides, and the color and clarity are very good. The jeweler here that I had it tidied up with (she wore this ring for many years, it needed a little touch up) said I could get around 10k for it now, given platinum prices and the quality of the stones. I was like ... :-O
                            Anyway, a million years later, she gives me the ring. It had no wedding band because my father sold it (grrr). I scoured ebay for months, and then finally this horizontal marquise band, in platinum showed up. It too was very old and I had something like $209 to spend and the auction ended at $204. Meant to be. They look like they belong together.
                            I have terrible guilt issues, because it was my grandmothers wish on her deathbed that I wear her ring. -_- In person, it's just gorgeous. But I wore it when I was with my ex husband. So... :/ I don't really know what to do with it. It doesn't work as a right hand ring. I would never have it changed into anything other than what it is. I feel really badly.

Last edited by garnet; September 19, 2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by garnet View Post
                              I have terrible guilt issues, because it was my grandmothers wish on her deathbed that I wear her ring. -_- In person, it's just gorgeous. But I wore it when I was with my ex husband. So... :/ I don't really know what to do with it. It doesn't work as a right hand ring. I would never have it changed into anything other than what it is. I feel really badly.
                              Garnet, both of your rings are gorgeous. I think, given how it takes time to heal all wounds, your grandmother wouldn't have been angry if you put it away for awhile before making any decision about wearing it again/what to do with it. I think it would be a lovely right hand ring, personally, but I can understand why you're hesitant especially now. When the attachment to your ex-husband fades, that's when it's time to reconsider.

*hugs*

Comment

Working...
                              X