My Mexperience Part 1: The journey to Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Mexperience Part 1: The journey to Mexico

So after a crazy, fast, passion fuelled month away with my girl I have a chance to emotionally reflect on what was by far, the best month of my life.

It was finally the day we had both been waiting for after a year and a half. All the highs the lows, the smooth bits and the bumpy bits...they had all led up to this point.

I hauled my suitcase to the front door. I double checked my St Christophers charm that had been gifted to me for my birthday just a few days before, was round my neck then set out. My heart was racing, my palms were sweating and my mind was flooded with thoughts of the enormous journey that lay ahead for me.

It was the first time I ever set out of the country on my own before. The journey to heathrow was stressful, largely due to my dad freaking out about what lane he was in and my mom screaming at him to stop the car and let her drive.

During check in I could barely contain myself. The mounting nerves just grew and grew. When I finally disappeared into the security check point zone and my parents disappeared from view, I could not contain myself....this was it....I was on my own for the next 21 hours.

Going through security the first time ever, was probably the most stressful experience of the whole journey. The officials looked menacing. I followed the line of people edging closer to the conveyor belt, desperately fumbling at my charm trying to remove it.

It took about 5 minutes to steady my hands enough to open my carry on bag and hastily stuff the necklace in there. I felt like a suspect even though I knew I wasn't. Thankfully that passed without a hitch and it was on to departure lounge.

After a couple of hours there, I boarded the flight and entered stage one and definately the most gruelling experience of my life. I had been on a 3 hour flight before to Spain, this however was different. Far different.

None of those 30 minute power naps or 2 hour flicks seemed to chip much of the time away. Four hours in my legs ached and I was ready to get off.....towards the 10 hour 45 minute mark? Seeing her face was the only thing that kept me sane at that point.

I finally arrived in LA. This was the bit scaring me most. US airport security is something I had been dreading for a while. I had not bothered to put my charm back on because of the next level of security and somehow, I felt naked without it. To my surprise it went more smoothly than I imagined.

I just behaved like the travel virgin I was, asking questions, awkwardly wandering around looking as clueless as I felt. Security was fine, in and out in 5 minutes. The only issue I had was the esta form as American Airlines failed to mention I needed to fill in a customs form beforehand ><

After an hour I was in departure. I spent the next 6/7 hours resting. As bad as it sounds, she didn't enter my head at all so far on this journey. I just wanted to get there safely.

The last flight was of course much better, only three hours. Mexicans as I learned are very family orientated and want to stick together even on three hour flights. I had to give up my seat but despite the long journey, I found their family orientated attitude very sweet, warming and a little amusing.

It was when the dark land of Mexico below started lighting up with scattered towns and cities that I started thinking of my SO.

Piercing the chaos and fear of travelling all that way to see her was now the thoughts like "what if she doesn't like me in person?" "What if she isn't even there? So much was riding on coming a long way and taking a very big leap of faith.

My thoughts were interrupted by the intercom.....we were there. My heart was really racing now. I made my way into the departure lounge....scruffy hair, zombified, looking like death.

I was met by a sea of Bronzed faces, some underneath giant sombreros. Nervously, I made my way through the hundreds of Mexicans all waiting for their loved ones, hoping that my Mexican was there waiting eagerly for my arrival.

Suddenly....out of this sea of faces....I was met with the most gorgeous smile, that broke through cherry red lips and an exotic, bronzed, delicate face, underneath eyes darker than chocolate and perfectly jet black hair.....She was even more beautiful in person.

*Part 2 coming soon!*
Working...
X