Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Career relocation, while married. Thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Career relocation, while married. Thoughts?

Hey all,
    First time poster here...LFAD website frequenter from the past, and now married.

Having lived together now for almost three years, after a 4.5 yr LDR, my husband and I are considering a long-distance arrangement again. Does anyone have experience in being LD while married? I saw a previous post with not much to say for success or personal experience. We're both young, working professionals who want the time to get in some good job experience before we start a family. The career I'm pursuing would take me to a metropolis that is 5 hrs away from my husband. We should be able to see each other at least once a month and we are hoping to plan moving back in together after a year or two.

Has anyone made this type of move before? Any success in going long-distance again or while married?

We also aren't sure on where we're going to settle down, so that is freaky in itself. Anyone with experience on trying to decide on a "home locatiom" once you want to start a family?

Only the two of you can decide if this separation will work for you. Though it's not military, think of all those that are married in the military and one or both can deploy for a 6 months, a year and where they won't be able to see each other. It's definitely workable if both parties agree to it. 5 hours apart can be workable to see each other every weekend if you wanted to and can afford the gas money.

Home location will also be something the two of you will have to discuss together. You'll look at the pros and cons of each location as far as jobs, housing, etc and go from there.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Thanks for your thoughts it's really daunting right now, because the end point (moving back in together) hasn't been decided. But I agree, we will work it out eventually and there are a lot of unknowns between now and then.

Also, sorry for the new forum topic - saw the guidelines after I posted. Thanks for the reply here

Comment

My husband and I are Lon distance, with the luxury of being together every weekend. In my opinion, it sucks. But it can work if you are doing it for the right reasons. My brother and his wife did it for a few years when he got transferred and she had a great job and couldn't go. It worked for them for a while, but they are now divorced (not because of the distance). I would give my right arm to be with my husband every single day.... Distance is not something I would choose if Imdidnt have to.
        sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

My husband and I have yet to close the distance. We almost made it last year. If it's something you both talk through it can be done.

Comment

Working...
          X