Salutations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Salutations

Hello all! I'm really glad to have stumbled upon this site. I'm getting involved in my first LDR, and despite the challenges, both he and I are determined to make it work. I'm from the US, but I'm spending a year studying in Norway. I was introduced to my guy about four months ago by a mutual online acquaintance, and we started bonding over language. For a few months, we didn't talk too much due to timezone differences and personal lives. It wasn't until I moved to Norway in August that we really started talking regularly for hours. IM conversations in Norwegian/Danish turned into Skype calls and then video chats. We also started to develop feelings for each other even though he was going through a breakup with a long time girlfriend. At this point, we're both a regular part in each other's lives and text regularly during the day and calling at night. However, we're waiting until we can spend some time in person in two weeks time before making anything official.

I'm looking forward to getting to know other people in similar situations and being able to get advice for the rough patches that are sure to come. This looks like a great community.

Great teamwork with the online mutual acquaintance! I found mine on my own 3 weeks ago. You'll both get along perfect if the relationship is just right and fair. I've experienced a-lot of trial and error in LDRs, my method now for communication is sending at least 2 messages a day, very detailed and full of love! She wants to hear my voice, she's reminded twice now, so wish me well as I wish you well!

Comment

UnknownBuddy, definitely good luck with getting to know her! Skype is truly amazing, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have gotten to know amazing people without it. So far, I've got somewhat high hopes that everything will turn out well. The online people I've met IRL have all been who they said they were, and any initial awkwardness disappears within a few minutes.

Comment

Hello and welcome. Hope your visit goes well. I love hearing stories of people's first visit.

Comment

Redheart14, thanks for the welcome! I'm really hoping everything goes well since it's going to be an awkward three weeks otherwise. I know we didn't make the smartest plan for a first meeting since he will be staying with me for two weeks, and then we're visiting another city in Norway with some of my friends.

Comment

Elisabeth,

Every post gives me insight on the challenge of making LDRs work in general. I want to say thank you for every post and reply. The plan might not have been smart, we do have lives to live so we can't be 100 percent focused on our lover at all times, but the plan was done with good and accurate intentions is what I believe. If the plan is awkward that's fine, we're human. But think, what will you two be to each other on the faithful day that you both meet? Forever and every day after that as well. Let it feel like a special occasion, like Christmas or Thanks Giving. The more interests we share with the world around us the better, may you both have lots of fun together. Wishing you well!

Comment

Working...
            X