How do I make this a better relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I make this a better relationship

Me and my boyfriend have been doing long distance for almost 3 months. We've already got to have two visits and have another one coming up. But the past two weeks have been very very hard.
    We make a priority to text a little every day and FaceTime even if for a little everyday. But it's so hard lately because me and him have both been feeling distant from each other when we are on the phone. There are times we can be FaceTiming and it's just silence and we do nothing but stare at each other. I brought it up last night because I could take the feeling anymore and all I want to do is this this distance we feel from each other.
    He told me he has felt distant for a while but reassured me that he doesn't want to end our relationship from this.
    I think we both just need to know how to make out time valuable time with each other and feel close even though we are far away. We have all the apps,write a journal together, have our movie dates, but we still can't shake this feeling.
    One thing I never wanted to come from this relationship is for my boyfriend to miss out on college things because of me. He's done a great job of making sure that isn't happening. I mean it when I say that but I feel he isn't making any sacrifices to talk. Because when we do talk I get the last little bit of his time when he's tired or doing homework. That's only complaint I have. But am I wrong for this?

Sorry this is long and seems a little all over the place. I would just appreciate any advice on how to feel closer to him because we are trying everything I think we can do.

Don't frame it as you're feeling distant from each other, because that carries negative connotations and won't help anything. Instead, recognize and address the feeling for what it really is: you miss each other. Sometimes, just admitting that you miss each other can make you feel that much closer. It also sounds a hell of a lot better than saying you're feeling distant.

Sometimes just knowing they're present can be a big help, so don't feel like you need to fill every skype or facetime with conversation. What I used to do when I was in an LDR in college, is I would keep skype open (on video chat) while my then-s/o and I did our own things. While it obviously wasn't as nice as having them there in person, it was still nice to know that they were there to some capacity. We'd talk if we felt we had something particularly interesting to say, but mostly we just kept to ourselves.

If you're not happy with your current setup, then talk to him about it and see if you guys can set up something new. Maybe you just need to switch up the routine a little.

Comment

As much as I love my SO, if we face timed every day we'd be the same and have very little to say. Sometimes talking everyday can get a bit mundane. Why don't you try chatting every second day? You can still text daily but do things on the days you don't talk, like see a movie or hang out with friends. Then when you do talk you'll have more things to talk about.

Comment

Dear Lord I don't have time to Facetime every day. I talk to my SO, but I don't Facetime because I do house chores or take a bath or get ready for bed. I cannot put my life on hold 100% every evening for Facetime. Perhaps the two of you can set aside certain times of the week to Facetime or maybe once a week.

We also don't text or call or message all day. We text good morning and call in the evening. Boom, done.

Have the two of you had a discussion about what each of you wants, needs, expects?

Comment

Originally posted by SDoud View Post
          Me and my boyfriend have been doing long distance for almost 3 months. We've already got to have two visits and have another one coming up. But the past two weeks have been very very hard.
          Just let you a bit of time. It is hard from time to time. There are tough moments but it usually passes (in my case).

We make a priority to text a little every day and FaceTime even if for a little everyday.
          Try to do it less. I mean, you can FaceTime, but maybe 2 or 3 times every week. You can text each other the rest of the time if you have something to say or to share. Do not spend too many hours per day talking to each other or you will feel like you have nothing to say and that will make everything harder (talking from my own experience. It can be different for you though).

I think we both just need to know how to make out time valuable time with each other and feel close even though we are far away. We have all the apps,write a journal together, have our movie dates, but we still can't shake this feeling.
          You could send letters or audios (record your voice and send it to him) instead of facetime. It can be a little surprise for your partner. Surprise him. You really do need to find time for yourself. Find a hobby. Stop worrying too much about your relationship problems. It will just be worse. Every couples have difficult moments. You can go through it if you let you the time.

Because when we do talk I get the last little bit of his time when he's tired or doing homework. That's only complaint I have. But am I wrong for this?
          As long as being tired does not affect the way he is with you, I guess it is okay. There are periods a bit more tough at school. You probably know it. Just try to support him in that and do not try to complain too much about it or he could pull away. I guess you both can make compromises about it. Try to talk about it with him.

Sorry this is long and seems a little all over the place.
          DO NOT be sorry. We are all here for a reason and it is to help each other. Keep that in mind, dear.
          - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
          First meeting: December 2016
          Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
          Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
          Engaged: December 2017
          Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
          Fifth visit: December 2019
          Wedding: September 2019

Comment

Working...
          X