Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apopting her child

Hello everybody

I am wondering if I am the only one about to do this...

My SO has a daughter, 10 years of age, who has never know her father because he died while my SO was pregnant of their first child. So that means her daughter never had a father. She looks a lot like her mother, same character, too. We haven't spoken much, but my SO tells me her daughter really likes me to be her father, as well as the husband of her mother. I already plan to marry my Filipino gf... and when we did, I want to apopt (or recognize) her daughter as my own.

Am I doing right, and more: are there more people around here who have done this?

My own son has his mother where he lives, so the other way around will not happen.

Greets,
    erwin
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Your relationship started like 6 weeks ago.... have you all met in rl?
    And to answer your question, men do adopt kids of the women they marry. It happens pretty frequently. And your child is yours, so you wouldn't adopt...

Comment

Personally, if I had a kid when we got married, I would have kind of expected my husband to adopt the child.

My big sister's second husband adopted her son, my dad adopted my mom's first child and my husband's best friend is dating someone right now who has a little boy from a previous relationship and plans to adopt him when they get married. I don't think that's crazy, I think that shows commitment and sincerity.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by sasad View Post
        Your relationship started like 6 weeks ago.... have you all met in rl?
        Not yet, but soon we will. It is just going fast and it feels very good. We're planning ahead, both have the confidence it will work out pretty well.

Comment

If the other parent isn't in the picture (such as your case) and it can legally be done, then it's not uncommon. Though considering you are only 6-weeks into this, I would probably slow way down. Once you adopt, this child is now legally your responsibility, even if things don't work between you and her mom.

Plus, have you looked into the legal aspects of it in your home country? How about even moving your SO and her daughter there in the first place? It's not like you can just bring them over because you are married. Have you looked into what is required?

https://www.expatica.com/nl/visas-an...ve_101937.html
          To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Yeah, I am looking into what is neccessary (or how ever I write that... :P ).
            I know, it's going pretty fast. Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
            X