Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He hasn't forgiven me for moving away - Advice needed

Hi,

So it has only been recently that my relationship has turned into a long distance one. My boyfriend and I have been together for over four years. I recently moved to Canada for a year (well only nine months) abroad with my studies. It was an opportunity that was amazing and I felt that I was better off taking it now rather than later on, after college, when we would be living together. We have never lived together because both of us went two different universities but we would of seen each other on the weekends and during school breaks we spent together.

At first when I mentioned about moving away for the year, my boyfriend was not happy and didn't want me to go, but in the end I got his blessing. Coming to Canada was something I really wanted to do. So eight months later I have moved over, and I have been here nearly two months. It hasn't gotten any easier and my boyfriend has not let me forget the fact that I 'abandoned' him. Which I haven't, I still love him and plan to love him until the day I die. We talk over messenger nearly everyday and try to skype at least once a week. But I know deep down that he is still angry with me and hasn't forgiven me for leaving. He often picks fights over small things and I try not to get angry.

However recently he had gotten angry over something I had messaged him, which had meant to be a joke, and instead of saying to me straight off he proceeded to give me short answers and not be interested in what I was talking about. Until I finally wore him down and he finally told me what was wrong. This just made me angry.
    So since then I have just been thinking about how I am sick of feeling guilty for leaving and sick of apologising for it all the time. It has really affected me to the point where I can't enjoy myself without feeling guilty and I just can't seem to even get myself up out of bed in the mornings. My school work has definitely been affected by this and I find myself crying nearly everyday.

So my question is how do I bring this up with him without angering him? Has anyone else encountered this?
    I feel like this relationship may not work out if he doesn't forgive me soon because I am drowning at the moment. When I need support from him all I get is anger and spitefulness. I moved yes but because I wanted to gain a new perspective in a new culture.
    I have been able to settle and relax and make friends. I am alone at the moment and he isn't there to help me. I really don;t know what to do. I don't to lose him.
    Please help.

UGH, just NO, girl! He's being extremely selfish. This is a temporary move to benefit your education and make your life better. He's only seeing it as how it affects HIM. You have no reason to feel guilty. He is being rude and selfish. He's emotionally punishing you because he didn't get his way. You didn't get his "blessing" because he's still punishing you. This is not OK in any way. You deserve better. I am not telling you to break up with him, but I would encourage you to evaluate whether or not you really want to be with someone who essentially drains you and can't let you have something nice in your life like a studying abroad opportunity without turning it into some huge, victim-mentality fit.

You guys are really young. You may have been together 4 years, but that's 4 years of high school and early college, not actual adult life. He's not passing this test very well and when you really grow up, you want a real partner who supports you in your life goals and is willing to make some reasonable (and a study abroad experience is extremely reasonable) sacrifices for their partner's benefit, not act like a spoiled child who didn't get their way.

Comment

Welcome to LFAD!

Originally posted by jrfh1612 View Post

So my question is how do I bring this up with him without angering him? Has anyone else encountered this?
      Why is his forgiveness necessary? What does it say about him that he chooses to withhold from you? I would not continue to apologize or ask for forgiveness. If school is a priority, focus on school. Don't hand over your power to someone who intentionally is spiteful and picks fights. Is this someone you really want to continue a relationship?

Forgiveness is not necessary to move on, nor is feeling guilty for living your life.

Comment

Squishy pretty much nailed it.

Do you really want to be with a person who doesn't support you and thigs that are important for you? Espcially when the move is only 9 months.
        Enjoy the time you have there. Year abroad is a wonderful experience. You get to know cool people, experience new country, new culture and learn things you can't get in a classroom. You don't need his forgiveness.

Comment

Working...
        X