Can I have some encouragement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I have some encouragement?

For about a year, I've been best friends with someone I met online. We we're both brought exceptionally close through some very sad circumstances, like a falling out of close friends in our Skype group, my dropping out of college and crippling financial problems, some terrible bullying, his mother's suicide, and our own mutual depression. It wasn't all heavy stuff, there's a lot of sending memes back and forth and talking about our shared passions (mostly writing and games), and him sending me pictures of his cat. At some point, that all evolved into promises to always be there for each other when we needed it and assurances that we care.

Though we were pretty close within our group, we took to messaging a bit privately daily and calling every now and then to make sure we were doing well or to vent - so as not to bother the other group members. There was a little game we had of seeing who could stay awake the latest while we chatted back and forth going for a month or so - he usually won.

We started using each other's real names rather than screen names when we messaged in private pretty quickly. He lacks confidence in his appearance and wouldn't show the group what he looked like, but recently shared some selfies, and we're down for our first video call this weekend.

A few months ago, I confessed my feelings for him, and he said he loved me, as well, but probably would have never had the nerve to tell me. A week later, we announced it to the rest of the group that's left - they're all very supportive and happy for us. All of us are meeting in summer of 2018, but he and I are going to try as we might to get together sometime in 2017. He'll be eighteen by then and able to travel a little more freely on his own.

It's nice waking up to "I love yous" every morning. He's admitted to bragging about me to his friends and encourages me to tell my parents about what we have, as he knows my family is very tradtional and he says he's "proud" of our relationship.

I'm not generally very trusting and it's impossible to find someone I click with on this high of a level, where we say the same things at the same time and conversation never runs dry. He is genuinely one of the most intelligent, mature, and kindest people I've ever met, and so respectful and sensitive and attentive to my feelings. It's amazing to feel wanted like this.

He's in Maine, I'm in Tennessee. The distance is really hard sometimes, but we've given promises to wait for each other, no matter how long we have to. It's good being in the same timezone, though.

We're young, I know. I really hope this works out and we manage to close the distance, and that I'm not being too idealistic, because I'm really happy to have him. Can I have some advice and encouragement? Doubt has a way of eating at me, and I'm feeling like we have no chance of ever truly being together.

Welcome to LFAD!

Remember to take one day at a time and to not force solutions. Maintain contact, and be aware of constant codependent contact. Those two things are very different. Have fun getting to know him. Easy does it!

Comment

Working...
    X