Just bought a ring and have a plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
    Any idea of how and when during the trip you'll pop the question?

We'll be flying in on a Monday night, but won't be able to hike the Canyon until Tuesday. I would like to find Shoshone Point Tuesday night and ask her around sunset.

Comment

I am really excited for you! I remember the first couple posts you made about your fiancée-to-be ♥

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
      First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
      Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
      Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
      Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
      Married: 1/24/2015
      Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

I dropped the ring off at the jeweler and it is being sized. Hopefully I got the right size and it turns out great.

Comment

I am excited for you two as well and eager to learn how the trip turns out.
          The best of luck :3

Comment

Very excited for you! I love all the care you're putting into the planning
            So, here you are
            too foreign for home
            too foreign for here.
            Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

How romantic everything sounds!

The ring is stunning!!!

Good luck and please do keep us updated!

Lisa

Comment

I got a call from the jeweler and it is sized and ready to pick up. I plan to go tomorrow and pick up the ring. Then I need to put it away for safe keeping until next year's Grand Canyon trip.

Comment

I sent you a PM... I live in Phoenix and can give you advice on where to go and not go
                  Sparkling72

"Strength in Us!"

"exclusive" since May 13, 2016
                  ** Shortened the distance!! December 2016 **
                  closing the distance in ~ Oct. 2018

Comment

I've been researching DIY ring boxes. Some of them are so awesome. I'm thinking about making a ring box. They have some on etsy, but I think it would be cool to make my own. I'm thinking of how I can make a flat ring box that I can put in my pocket for when we go hike the Grand Canyon.

Comment

I made the ring box. Just finished it. Gonna leave it rustic. Not gonna stain it. https://vid.me/HtJR

Comment

That's a pretty box. Love the rustic look.

Comment

That box and ring look really lovely! <3

Looking for the future...

First Meeting: March 20 2016
                          Got separated: August 2016
                          Reunion: July 2017
                          Officially together: January 2018
                          ... And many meetings later ...

Comment

That box is a pretty cool idea. Love it!

Comment

That's really pretty!

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
                              Married April 18th, 2015!!
                              Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

That video makes it look like a real struggle to open. If I had the phone on a tripod and had both hands free, there would be zero problem opening it. It was late and I wanted to share the completion of the ring box. (So I made the video while trying to hold the phone with one hand and open the box with the other.)

I originally planned to cut the wood myself and start from scratch. However, last night I decided it was too close to our trip to go in search of the right branch to make the ring box from. I went to Michael's and found this:

The package above had 4 pieces of birch in it. I took the two pieces that best fit together, drilled the hole for the dowel, and tapped the dowel into the birch. I broke the dowel off in the first hole I drilled, which is why you see two drill holes on the top if you look closely. I was a lot more careful when I tapped the dowel in when I drilled the second hole for the dowel, so I didn't break the dowel off on my second attempt.

Then I began hollowing out the hole for the ring. To hollow out the ring hole, I used a Dremel with abrasive cutting wheels and sanding attachments. A spade drill bit or hole saw would have left a pilot hole on the bottom of the ring box. I didn't want a pilot hole on the bottom of the ring box because I would have had to fill that in with wood filler.

The process of trial and error took about 4 hours. It would have taken a fraction of the time if I would have used a spade drill bit or hole saw, but as I already stated, I didn't want to fill in a hole on the bottom of the ring box.

I sanded the top and bottom of the ring box after I recorded the video so now the top and bottom are very smooth to the touch.

I debated etching our initials or a heart on the top of the ring box, but decided against it.
                                Last edited by hmrambling; February 24, 2017, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X