Amsterdam in the winter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amsterdam in the winter

My girlfriend and I are considering to spend a few days in Amsterdam in January. Though I have been to Amsterdam before, I am not sure what the city is like in the winter. Canal cruises and outdoor cafes sound a lot less appealing considering the temperature might be just around the freezing point.
    We both are fairly introverted and don't like large crowds, loud music, or drug use. So clubs and coffee shops are out of question.

I know there is the Iamsterdam CityCard for public transport and museums. What I would like to hear are recommendations on interesting museums and other places that might be fun to visit even in the winter.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

My boyfriend will be there next weekend, if this thread is still active, I'll let you know what he says about visiting in the cold. He's a bit of a...ummm....coffee connoisseur....but will be checking out some sites as well. Hope you have a great time.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey! It's averaging about 5 degrees celcius here (probably even then, though you never know of course, but last year we had a very mild winter) when there's no wind it's not super cold. Canal cruises are in covered glass boats so they still go in the winter and are fun to do.
      There are a ton of museums, the Rijksmuseum is where the famous Rembrandt painting (Nightwatch) is. I personally really like the van Gogh museum as well. The Anne Frank house is a must-see too but I'd reserve tickets in advance to avoid waiting out in the cold for a long time, as it's always busy there. I also really like the NEMO science museum, you can do all kinds of experiments if you're into that. There's usually a bunch of school kids as well but it isn't weird at all to go there as adults haha! Here's a website with more info about all the different museums: https://www.amsterdam.info/museums/
      There are very cute regular cafés that aren't coffee shops so there's plenty of opportunities to just sit inside and warm up. Smoking isn't allowed in any indoor venues except the real coffee shops so you don't have to worry about restaurants and such
      There are also a number of concert halls, if you like that stuff you can check out the National Opera/Ballet, the Concertgebouw or Paradiso.
      That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but if you have more questions let me know!

Comment

Working...
      X