X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

running out of visa options

Hi,

Another sad post I'm afraid.

I started applying to a school in Montreal to be able to live with my boyfriend. Unfortunately there is really just one school I can apply for as the others are way too expensive... And when I tried to fill out the form, I klicked the wrong button by mistake, was kicked off the platform and cannot sign in anymore... Could not find an email from someone from IT either, so I emailed general admissions - which always takes ages to reply.

So I started looking into other visa options if this one does not work out... And found out that I have none My country has no agreement with Canada, so no work and travel for me. I am not eligible for a work visa either as I have no work contract over there. While my qualifications are good for Quebec, they have already taken in 10.000 people, nobody knows when the next window opens... And I have only one more year of unpaid leave before I have to return to my home country Luxembourg.

I am close to tears. My boyfriend and I had these nice dreams for our future and we were fairly confident I would get a visa one way or another... Now this is crumbling. He is not giving up, keeps sending me links to schools for which I cannot apply... And I get frustrated seeing he is not even taken a second to consider moving to my country - he would get a visa no problem as enrolling to schools is so easy back home. I know it was not wha tI wanted for myself as I wanted to spend another year abroad before going back, but if that is the only way, I would take it.

This is a big issue... I guess I am hoping to pick some brains. Maybe there is an option we have not considered. Do not suggest marriage or de facto relatinship - I don't think he'd be up to it and neither am I just yet.

Well, first off, you don't know that this one particular school won't pan out.

Secondly, I understand that Montreal's schools are expensive, but what about in other places in Canada? Reduced long distance would still be more bearable, right?

Have you talked to him about him moving? If it is as easy as you make it sound, why isn't that a serious consideration?
    So, here you are
    too foreign for home
    too foreign for here.
    Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

That is true - however it is not looking good right now... And I am running out of time for my application.

It is also true that reduced long distance would be better - however since we have a funding problem, the best thing for us would be to live together to share costs. He has a stable job and if I face a financially rough patch, he could take over rent for a bit for instance.

And I have asked him yesterday. He just said he doesn't want to give up on me moving over yet. I am hoping he only meant that having in mind that I have another year I could travel before I have to return home. We have talked about living together in Montreal one year and then moving to my country. Now he has completely ignored when I asked if he would make the move sooner if I can't get a visa. And that does upset me quite a bit

Comment

There are a lot of schools in Ottawa (not sure of prices though) and it's only an hour and a half drive from Montreal.
        My wife is from the US, but I have no idea if the rules are the same for Ireland... We got married and applied for a family sponsorship visa and in the meantime she lives in Canada with a work permit. Something you can look in to...maybe?

"True love isn't about being inseparable; it’s about two people being true to each other even when they are separated."
        Married April 18th, 2015!!
        Distance Closed October 4th, 2015!!

Comment

We have not been together long enough to justify marriage just yet...
          I have been looking into a few more programs, I will just try whatever I can... Ottawa is a good idea, though I'd still prefer Montreal but I am not excluding the possibility.

Talked some more to my boyfriend as well. He is really very engaged into this - he even called the embassy to ask but they were not very helpful. Basically what they suggested didn't work. But what really matters is how much of a support he is being, he is amazing!

I'll post here if I find a solution, might be helpful to another user at some point But if anyone knows something, please post on here!

Comment

I don't know if you solve your problems. I'm from the province of Quebec.
            You could apply to Laval University. It's 2h30 away from montreal more or less.
            You could also apply for Trois-Rivières which is a little bit closer. There is Sherbrooke which is not too far from MTL as well. It depends of your study program. I don't know how it works for other university, but Laval University in quebec welcomes a lot of immigrants although it can be quite expensive and you'd need to speak french.
            I hope it can help
            - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
            First meeting: December 2016
            Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
            Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
            Engaged: December 2017
            Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
            Fifth visit: December 2019
            Wedding: September 2019

Comment

Thanks Littlewhiteflower I am figuring things out with the Université de Montréal and Sherbrooke (trying to get into a program at Langueil). I am applying to 3 different programs, so hopefully I'll get into one of them. Thankfully I do speak French and my country has an agreement with Quebec, I can apply to get cheaper tuition, just need to be lucky. Not many people from my country are going, so I should be able to pay the Quebec fee instead of the International one. Laval would definitely be an option too.

Comment

I can't give much advice relating to your visas because I am not from either country, but it seems that you both want this to work very much - and this is one of the most important things (at least in my opinion) - that you both want this I am in a bit of a similar situation, work or study visa just won't be a very good option for me to move his country (and he can't move to mine as he has a young daughter), and really the only other suitable visa for us is a marriage visa. We are open to this idea as we have been together for a while now, and are currently discussing this, however it isn't something that either of us would do 'just' for a visa, but we will do it when we are both ready. Which means a lot of waiting/travelling back and forward/missing each other until that time....it is so frustrating because I just want to be with him now.

Hang in there I wish you all the best with your study visa! I am sure that it will work out for you both.

Comment

Working...
                X