Christmas 2016 support thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas 2016 support thread

I feel lucky that I have my daughter to spend time with over Christmas but I'll be away from my SO again. I know a few of us will be and some people find it quite tough so I thought I'd start a thread for us all to moan on!

Christmas has never been a big deal to me, honestly. What's harder for me are birthdays and New Year's. Gosh, I wish I could ring in the New Year with *all* my loved ones ❤
    sigpic

Comment

Christmas is weird for me because I know he will not celebrate. I have tried to share with him before my frustrations of being away form him at Christmas, but he does not get it. In addition to being muslim, he is used to work extra during the holidays, not less. His restaurant is preparing for NYE big time. I hope he will not have time to miss me, because all I get now is weather complaints (it is supposedly very cold there, and in his home town there is snow) and crying emojii saing that the worst thing is to be without me. I of course miss him terribly...

I am busy busy busy with work, gifts, food preperations and so on. I will be 2nd commandor on Christmas Eve (when we celebrate) this year. My aunt will lead it and I plan to be an considerate angel this year. Mum is better in her body if not her head and she actually likes to be partly institustionalized because it gives her a social boost - she gests new friends every time. My husband is really exhausted all the time from his job - but he also does not sleep well, so maybe it is the allergies, not the job. He will work a lot during Christmas, since he work at the hospital he can only take some days off at a time - but he got time off for my birthday, and will spend NYE with friends. I hope to Skype or phone a bit with SO at NYE, I usually do

I plan to send SO just a little thing - I think he does not like it when I go overboard since he cant afford to get me something. Maybe a poem and a chocolate, something like that .
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

This is the first Christmas since my Dad has died. He was the glue that held our family together and now he's no longer here, we (the siblings) hardly talk anymore. (Not through lack of trying). I'm really missing him, we were close even before he got sick, so I'm really struggling with Christmas this year. I'm with my SO and his family are all having baby (except us) so Christmas to them is so new and rejuvenated. I, on the other hand, am so upset that my family has pretty much disintegrated that I cried myself to sleep last night. I'm grateful to have somewhere to go but also feel so empty and alone even when surrounded by people. Trying not to let my SO know as he's finding it hard not knowing what to say when I say I miss my Dad. He's been very supportive, I just don't want to ruin his family's excitement.

Comment

My family has never really been big on the holidays since my grandma died back in 2003. But the being away from my family around this time has been hard. I'm very sad that I can't be with my family for Christmas and the New Year.
          I'm definitely homesick and wish I wasn't so far away. Currently we're waiting for my visa to come through (which can take about 2 years, sometimes less) and in that time I can't leave the Australia. I don't know how long it will be until I can see my family again or even spend the holidays with them.
          I do love it here, but I still really miss everyone back home

Comment

My SO will be with me for Christmas, but not for NYE for the... third (?) year in a row. He likes to spend NYE with his family in CR and since I'm a teacher and we don't get many days off, the tickets are far too expensive for me to go.

I still might put on a sparkly dress and fake eyelashes and go out by myself!

Comment

It's my first Christmas at home since two of my aunts passed away and I'm dreading it. Mom keeps saying everyone looks forward to seeing me and I will make everyone's day but that just feels like a lot of pressure.
              So, here you are
              too foreign for home
              too foreign for here.
              Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

Third Christmas in a row spent without my family, but I will be seeing them on Skype and they sent a box for the husband and me. We'll make it work!

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
                First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
                Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
                Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
                Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
                Married: 1/24/2015
                Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Just wondering how your Christmas actually turned out? Mine really sucked.

Comment

Working...
                  X