Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in Alberta

Hi all!!

I decided to move to Canada since years and meeting my SO over here comforted me in this idea.
    I'm gonna spend a full month in Calgary and plan to search work over here so I can go back in France with a job offer to ask for my working visa.

Do you guys have any advice?

I began sending mails to many companies saying I could be available for an appointment on feb but still have no responses.
    I'm not closed to any kind of job, speak French, English, Spanish and Italian and have a BTS as an Assistant Manager. I work in an insurance company since more than 3 years as well.

I'm really motivated but I don't know if there are some things to follow since it's in a country different from mine.
    Do I show up at companies giving my curriculum vitae? Should I continue sending them by mail until feb? My SO told me to put his address on my CV so I can have a Canadian address but it changed nothing. Plus, since I'm only 24, I can be hired without it being expensive for the employers through "Mobilité francophone" and I always precise that but it's been 5 months that i began my research and I didn't get even a single appointment...

Closing the distance depends a lot on finding a job so if any of you has any advice or even some contacts, would be awesome!

Thank you all!!

I apologize if this sounds offensive, but if you're emailing these companies, your written English could use some work. HR departments get a lot of responses, and will bypass responses that are poorly written. Your spelling is OK, but your phrasing and word skipping could be seen as a problem by a hiring manager. Maybe have your boyfriend proofread your emails for you? I hope that doesn't hurt your feelings, I wouldn't normally say that to someone, but you are trying to improve your chances of getting a job. Your written English isn't bad, it just needs some refinement and care judging by this post. Good luck to you.
    Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

The economy in Alberta sucks right now. It's extremely bad in Calgary. I don't mean to sound discouraging but you aren't going to find a job that will wait for you to maybe return with a work visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
        I apologize if this sounds offensive, but if you're emailing these companies, your written English could use some work. HR departments get a lot of responses, and will bypass responses that are poorly written. Your spelling is OK, but your phrasing and word skipping could be seen as a problem by a hiring manager. Maybe have your boyfriend proofread your emails for you? I hope that doesn't hurt your feelings, I wouldn't normally say that to someone, but you are trying to improve your chances of getting a job. Your written English isn't bad, it just needs some refinement and care judging by this post. Good luck to you.
        Thank you about that, well obviously my english writing isn't the same when I write to employers and my SO read them all and correct them if needed but thank you for the concern I really appreciate that honesty. I never skip words or use slang when writing to employers, I'm gonna take more english lessons by the way to improve my professional english talking and writing.
        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by dizzyupthemeg View Post
          The economy in Alberta sucks right now. It's extremely bad in Calgary. I don't mean to sound discouraging but you aren't going to find a job that will wait for you to maybe return with a work visa.
          Thank you for the information. I'm not going to get discouraged like this and I will still try, I don't close myself to this city and I can go around if needed. Hope it will be ok...

Comment

The best I think you can hope for is once you are able to work there is to get a job in a restaurant or retail place. Like Dizzy said the economy sucks right now and citizens are having a hell of a time finding work. They aren't going to hold a job for you when there is a surplus of people looking for jobs. Most work visas require some sort of skilled work, which it doesn't sound like you have. Take a look here https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/

Comment

You are still young, have you considered studying in Canada?
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                The best I think you can hope for is once you are able to work there is to get a job in a restaurant or retail place. Like Dizzy said the economy sucks right now and citizens are having a hell of a time finding work. They aren't going to hold a job for you when there is a surplus of people looking for jobs. Most work visas require some sort of skilled work, which it doesn't sound like you have. Take a look here https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/
                I'm sorry but, I have a diploma and did 2 years of studies after college, considered as superior studies...
                Thank you for the link btw I'll take a look at this

Comment

Originally posted by differentcountries View Post
                  You are still young, have you considered studying in Canada?
                  I have been working for more than 3 years, finished my studies here in France so it's not something I am actually thinking about but if that's the only solution to go there, I guess I can find something nice to do here. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Evylania View Post
                    I'm sorry but, I have a diploma and did 2 years of studies after college, considered as superior studies...
                    Thank you for the link btw I'll take a look at this
                    Your diploma and superior studies don't nessesarily ma'am you are skiing for the skilled work they need and offer a visa for

Comment

Originally posted by snow_girl View Post
                      Your diploma and superior studies don't nessesarily ma'am you are skiing for the skilled work they need and offer a visa for
                      So, what could I do to improve my chances? I really am serious about all this... I will still do my best in february and search forsomething that could offer me a chance to be able to move here.

Comment

Update

Updating this thread : So I went in Calgary for a month during february. I found a work but it doesn't fit to get a Visa.I still don't give up and begin to think seriously about studying over here. Have some of you experienced studying out of Quebec? Would you have some advices?
                        I continue applying to job offers and am waiting to see if I will finally get an invitation for an Open work permit visa. It would allow me to stay in Canada for 2 years but still I am not sure that I will find work during this time.
                        Every advice will be welcomed!!

Have a wonderful day all!

(Apart from that, I had the time of my life with my SO during this month and now that we are far again it really is hard but we are going to make it! We both really want to close the distance and will do all we can!)
                        Last edited by Evylania; March 22, 2017, 07:45 AM.

Comment

I'm from Quebec. My partner is living in another province but has a worker and study visa. It's not the easiest thing to get, especially since the delay are terribly long.

I study in Quebec, but never tried to study elsewhere in Canada. I guess to be accepted in a Canadian school (outside qc), you'll have to pass an English test but if your partner is anglophone, it shouldn't be a problem. You'll have to check the fees too as it can be very very expensive for someone outside the country. Moreover, the date to register for an university are probably close by now (this is the case in Quebec)

Without a guaranty of a visa, nobody will want to hire you unfortunately. The best for you would probably to wait to have the open work visa permit. You might be able to get it.

All these visa things are pretty complicated. I bet after a while with your partner, if you plan to settle here, you could ask for sponsorship. Your partner will be responsible of you during 3 years but you'll get your permanent residency. This is the easiest solution and my partner and I are thinking about it.
                          - I'll be waiting for you -

Started talking: December 2015
                          First meeting: December 2016
                          Second meeting: May 2017 - August 2017
                          Third meeting: Septembre 2017 - January 2018
                          Engaged: December 2017
                          Fourth meeting: May 2018 - August 2018
                          Fifth visit: December 2019
                          Wedding: September 2019

Comment

Working...
                          X