Gifts with meaning, mementos really....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gifts with meaning, mementos really....

My LDR Lady and I have had most of our meetings together in special places to us. Usually if we give a gift it relates to that trip....

On our first meeting I bought her a starfish that matched the one on a necklace she was wearing. It hangs in her bedroom. We have our Fortune cookie fortunes from a dinner at a hole in the wall Chinese place.

Our next meeting was a quick one as she was travelling through. She left with a bunch of photos, and a crab pot buoy that washed up on the beach as we were walking along. It hangs in her patio now.

When I visited her, I entered a fundraising drawing for a bunch of miscellaneous stuff. I put her phone # on the ticket. When we won, she mailed me the loot. A Coca Cola Sign, a Coca Cola Clock, and a pink visor with a wig in it called "Flair Hair". The clock is in my office, the sign is at home, and the Flair Hair came out at Halloween. (I am bald and shave my head)

One of our most special trips was a camping trip in the mountains in the summer. When I returned there in the Fall, I sent her Aspen leaves from the grove where I carved our initial in a tree.

I surprised her with a picture collage i made of us together on our various trips. I sent it off to a photo lab and had a 5x7 shipped to her house. That is on her bed stand. Total Surprise and lots of happy tears there.

I came across a children's book that was particularly touching, and relevant to us and had it shipped to her house when I was visiting. I signed and dated it while I was there.

Other Gifty stuff. Proof that gifts don't have to be Expensive...
    She sent me a ball cap from her summer job.
    I gave her a tshirt from my company.
    One of my vendors gave us a bunch of can coozies so I sent her some on a whim
    Then I attended a concert at a brewery, and they gave me a knit beer coozy so I sent that. Now it has become a tradition of sorts to send her beer coozies
    For Christmas, I bought a charm necklace and 3 charms that i thought were symbols of our relationship. I also wrote up a page that talked about what each symbol meant.

She has sent me:
    Tshirts unique to her area

A motivational picture
    Decals
    A sweatshirt in my size she wore for a week

At Christmas:
    A watercolor she painted
    a bottle of gin from a local distillery
    A stocking filled with stocking stuffers.

The ultimate gift though is a plane ticket...That means more than any knick knack or Jewelry right now...

What lovely gifts!

Comment

So for Valentines Day I did the Dozen Roses ordered on line. I really think this is just a requirement on VDay for all men. Kinda like paying the "relationship tax". Just gotta do it.

But for a personal touch I went on Shutterfly and designed a Valentine card with pictures of us together, and a personal note. Both arrived on the Same day, Feb13th. What a hit!

Just to illustrate how important it is to women, She took the roses and the card to work, to let all her co-workers oooooh and ahhhh over it. THAT is why you do it.....

Comment

*shrug* I don't think man GOTTA buy their women flowers and all kinds of gifts as long as they recognize that their life is better with them (as long as that's true)

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
        First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
        Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
        Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
        Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
        Married: 1/24/2015
        Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
          *shrug* I don't think man GOTTA buy their women flowers and all kinds of gifts as long as they recognize that their life is better with them (as long as that's true)
          So agreed..had an ex that did all that stuff, he was abusive so in his mind doing the "tax" made it all ok in his book.. More impact when you get surprises when they are NOT expected tbh...

Comment

Originally posted by sasad View Post
            So agreed..had an ex that did all that stuff, he was abusive so in his mind doing the "tax" made it all ok in his book.. More impact when you get surprises when they are NOT expected tbh...
            I got 3 boxes of bubblegum because it was on sale and I love bubblegum! Much better than flowers, I have that until at LEAST the summer haha

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Although he referred to it as "tax", I got the impression he did those things because he felt like it was the right thing to do because it made her happy. No matter how he phrases it, if you do it to make someone happy, it's the right thing (as long as it's not being done to "make up" for the WRONG thing.

My husband tracked down a first edition of my very FAVORITE childhood book. It was the first book I've ever owned. He's so sweet.
              sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Yes, but it ends up being a competition for some... if you work in an office you know what I mean.. To some, its like, wow he must love you the most cuz he sent you 2 dozen roses etc.. That is the thing i dont like about this.
                I love the momentous and every time he comes back, he brings a shell and some type of starfish for me. It's not for other people to be impressed with, its what I am happy with in my heart. That's what i mean about this type of Holiday.

Comment

I actually laughed at the "relationship tax" comment... they made her happy and most of your gifts are well thought out... so you are a very thoughtful person and the flowers just added to that for her.

I also got surprise flowers a week before Valentine's day. SO is deployed in the Middle East, and I had zero expectations (he knew Valentines was never my thing mainly due to XH). Similary to sasad... my XH was mentally and verbally abusive.. would only buy my flowers when he really screwed up... toward the end, I would take the flowers straight off the table and march them out to the garbage can and put his "sorry" card through the shredder before even reading it... I already knew what it said. So I hated - absolutely hated - getting flowers b/c of what they meant for so long. Then SO comes along and says he's going to change my outlook on that and his surprise flowers on random occasions do just that!
                  Sparkling72

"Strength in Us!"

"exclusive" since May 13, 2016
                  ** Shortened the distance!! December 2016 **
                  closing the distance in ~ Oct. 2018

Comment

Originally posted by Sparkling72 View Post
                    I actually laughed at the "relationship tax" comment... they made her happy and most of your gifts are well thought out... so you are a very thoughtful person and the flowers just added to that for her.
                    The comment was meant to be humorous...Thanks for getting it.

Comment

So the anniversary of our first meeting is coming up. I have a customized coffee cup on the way to her. It will arrive after the date, so I'm looking for a good card to send that commemorates the occasion and maintains the "thoughtful" expectation I've built.

I'm thinking a heartfelt letter is the most appropriate...

Comment

Working...
                      X