Taking a year off of school to relocate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking a year off of school to relocate

My boyfriend and I met while he was on a football scholarship at a school close to mine. He ended up getting injured and losing his scholarship after the spring season and he couldn't afford the out-of-state tuition so he decided to go back to Arizona (where he is originally from) to graduate. We had been together for about 4 months when all of that happened so when we finished spring semester I spent the summer with him in Arizona before I had to go back to Virginia for the fall semester. We knew we had something special from the beginning and had been planning on a future together so when we realized we would have to do long distance we knew we could make it work. We are now about 7 months into the LDR and we see each other about every 6-9 weeks. He is graduating in May but I still have one year left before I am done with school. I have always been extremely unhappy at my school and not having him here with me has made it even worse. It doesn't help that I also have SAD and cold rainy days have been an everyday thing around here lately. I love what I am studying but I can't shake the feeling that I could study those things anywhere. My school is not particularly well known and I have always felt like I needed more of a challenge.

So, to get to the point of all of this, I am highly considering making the move to Arizona to be with my boyfriend. This would involve a lot of moving parts and it would probably be the hardest thing I have ever done. I just know I would be exponentially happier with him in Arizona than I am here in Virginia. The biggest dilemma I have is that I would probably have to take a year off of school to establish myself as a resident in order to get in-state tuition at a school in Arizona. We planned on being together in Arizona after I finished school anyways so becoming a resident isn't as much the issue as taking a year off of school is. We have already discussed the financial aspect and he will be pulling most of the weight until I finish school because he has a great paying job already lined up. He completely supports me finishing school and getting a job in what I love regardless of the pay. I have always been a risk taker and I love doing the unexpected but this would far exceed anything I have ever done before.

I guess what I want to get from posting this is to see if people think I am crazy. You only live once, right??

This is one of those things that can be the greatest or the worse thing to do.

Personally I would finish school and then relocate. It is less than a year with holiday times and I'm sure some of it is online or not necessary to participate to the lectures. Also the new course might be different and would have to do a lot of extra work. I might sound like a bitter elderly aunt, but often a gap year during studies leads to not finishing school. Especially if you get a decent job and. I come from a country that has no tuition fees (yay) so I don't really understand how it works. But seems like a lot to do to get finance for one year especially since once that would be sorted you could have already graduated.

Look carefully into the course in arizona and how it compares to your current one. Find out if they take your current credits and you can just start senior year. See if it gives you more of a challenge.

If the school seems good, you truly think t would make you happier, your partner is happy with the arrangement then it might be the right solution for you.

Comment

Thanks! I've already checked that the credits will transfer and they should be fine. I was considering taking a year off to make money to afford my last year of school anyways and the tuition at the school I want to go to in Arizona is considerably less than the one I am at now. It is a huge deal for me to finish school so I know I will go back because I love learning and I want to eventually pursue a masters. I think I'm mostly worried about following such an unconventional path without a whole lot of guidance. BUT at the same time that excites me.

Comment

Just remember, if you take a year off, that after 6 months out of school you are now responsible to start paying on your loans. Once you start school again, you can go into an in-school deferment, but you will enter repayment immediately upon graduating. You only get that 6-month grace period once.
        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

My loans are going to be manageable, I was lucky enough to be on my dads GI Bill for a third of school.

Comment

Finish school & then relocate...that way you wont be waiting become a resident there...for a whole year you could stayed in school where you currently reside and be done.
            CLOSED THE DISTANCE FINALLY ON MAY 6, 2017

Comment

I have a feeling that you have already decided to relocate but are now thinking if it is too crazy. If you and your boyfriend think it is a good idea, you have financial means to do it then go for it 😊

Comment

That is a question for your school in Arizona's Financial Aid dept.

Get them your FAFSA and find out what you qualify for. Alternately do an "exchange" with the Arizona school where you pay your school fees. I know in the West We have a Western Undergraduate exchange program where you can enroll at say ASU for 150% of the instate tuition.....

Don't stop the roll you are on with a year left.

Comment

Working...
                X