My NZ to Ireland Update.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My NZ to Ireland Update.

I have been in Ireland for almost a year and oh boy what a year!
    After 2 years in the long distance situation I moved from New Zealand to Ireland.
    Well I can suggest that the newly merged couple DO NOT entertain the thought of DIY as we did.
    We needed wardrobes in two rooms as a result of all of my stuff arriving so both thinking we were pretty self sufficient embarked on doing them ourselves. It turned into a bit of a competitive situation - could I trust him to do the job as well as I would have? Is he painting that wall as well as I can?
    At the same time we were in a dancing competition, against each other. Practise, mess, stress, his work, missing my son etc. Imagine.
    And it only took a bit of a childish grapple over the only phillips screwdriver we had, to blow the thing out of the water.
    Well fast forward and I won the dance competition, the house looks wonderful and we are getting on like a house on fire.
    My visa arrived 3 weeks ago. So for almost a year I have been unable to work and I think I have been forced into a bit of a personal change/growth. Not being able to be the health professional I had been for 29 years was a bit of an identity shift - I was looking forward to the retirement from the profession but had not realised how much I identified with it. Being here in Ireland, I realised that my history was pretty glossy and extroverted in NZ, but here, no one really cared and my whole identity has unravelled.
    It was during a particularly unpleasant argument that I realised that I no longer knew who I was. This was the turning point I think and I have since embarked on personal growth, in communication, rekindled counselling/coaching for my new career, and more.
    I can honestly say I am not the same person, and this has come as quite a painful realisation. I still don't know anybody to call for a coffee, and this was really lonely.
    I am honestly surprised that my sweetheart is still in love with me. I have questioned whether I need to be with him many times and even once, I bought a ticket early back from the Canary Islands, to not use it.This crazy meeting we had was certainly organised by those up high.
    Painful as my changes may be, I wouldn't be anywhere but in his arms at the end of the day, and during the day, and in the morning. I am grateful he wants to be in mine, and I am grateful that he is open enough to my personal changes to realise that he is due for a couple of upgrades too!
    Who would have known!

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!
    Glad it's worked out so well!
    Best of luck in the future.
    Met Online: 1998
    Relationship began: January 2017

FIRST MEETING: June 2017
    SECOND MEETING: October 2017

Comment

Working...
    X