Patience and wanting to get married

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Patience and wanting to get married

I've been talking to my long-distance partner about timelines and what we want, and I'm feeling kind of sad and frustrated. We're both happy with how the relationship is progressing, within itself, but I feel like that timeline is also superimposed on my own personal timeline, in which I really hoped to be married and starting a family by now! We've only been together about a year and a half (but were friends for about six years before that), but I've felt theoretically "ready" to settle down for about five years, if I found the right person, which I feel like I have. Partner wants to take things more slowly - move to the same city, live separately in that city for at least a year, then move in together, then get engaged, then get married, then start trying to have kids- with plenty of space between each step. And I just add up all that time and it feels so long. I feel like my patience has already been depleted by dating long distance, and by the long distance relationship I had before this one, and by everybody who's told me since I was a teenager that you can't hurry love.

When does step one -moving to the same city- happen? and it's not that you can't rush love, you can't rush/force people to follow your plan. But, love is also compromise. Just b/c that is the plan your partner wants, doesn't mean you have to follow that plan either. If you are truly 29, I kinda get it... you feel that your internal clock ticking and you want to start the next chapter of your life... getting married and having kids sooner than later. However, having kids in your 30's isn't the end of the world either.... sounds like a good, open, heart to heart is in order.
    Sparkling72

"Strength in Us!"

"exclusive" since May 13, 2016
    ** Shortened the distance!! December 2016 **
    closing the distance in ~ Oct. 2018

Comment

Working...
    X