Flying alone for the first time! Tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying alone for the first time! Tips?

Hey, I'm going to meet my boyfriend in a little over a month and I've never travelled alone before.. Also, it's a flight with multiple stops and I'm kind of worried about getting around. Any tips?

Have you traveled with groups before? It's very much the same, the only difference being that you have to be in charge of all of your items and navigation.

Airports (especially international airports) are designed to be easy to navigate, with signs often posted both in the native language and in English. I have had layovers in a number of countries-- some have required me to get out and do a lot of walking and passing through a checkpoint to get to my next gate/terminal, but in others I've simply walked into the terminal, found my next gate, and seated myself. It depends on where you are flying to/from and what that particular country's policies are.

One thing you can do if you're worried about the airports is to look up reviews or other people's experiences with them. Occasionally you'll find a tip that ends up being quite helpful, such as good places to hang out that aren't your gate or how to get on the wifi. Most airports have screens in various places that list departure times and gates, so the first thing I usually do when I get off of a plane is check my flight number (should be listed on your boarding pass) on these screens to see which gate I need to go to and whether it's been delayed. Your boarding pass might already have a gate listed, but check the screens anyway-- I have had gates change on me so many times.

To keep things simple and clear, I like to make a one-page itinerary for myself with my flight numbers, terminals (most airlines fly into/out of specific terminals at each airport-- you can often check which terminal an airline takes on the airport's website), times, and any special notes regarding the flights or airports, such as meals or wifi, so that I can view these things at a glance and keep myself prepared for the next leg of my trip. I'll also include directions to/from certain terminals (sometimes you need to take a shuttle to get from one to another) if the airport is large and I know I'll need to be moving between them, although I have always found that the signs were labeled clearly enough that I didn't need my directions.

I assume you're flying into the US, so make sure you have your visa (assuming B2), passport, and evidence of your return flight on hand and that you've thought about what you're going to say at the border. You should know all the details of your trip and be able to tell the officer clearly what the purpose of your visit is and how long you are planning to stay.

Overall, traveling by yourself is kinda nice, because you don't need to worry about anyone else. Just keep an eye on your things and plan ahead, and you'll be golden!
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Thank you!! What will I need to say at the border? Just why im going and how long ill be staying? And Also, should I say im going to visit my boyfriend of just a friend?

Comment

What did you tell them at your visa interview? I have personally not had to deal with USCIS since I am a US citizen, but I have heard that it is much better to say you are visiting a friend than a boyfriend, since saying you are visiting a boyfriend can flag you as being at risk for overstaying your visa.

When you get to border control, they will take your documents and check them in their system and ask you questions about your trip. The general rule is not to volunteer any more information than they ask for, but they will definitely ask you about the purpose and duration of your trip. If you tell them you are visiting your friend, they will ask you questions about your relationship with this friend-- how you met them, how long you've known them, etc. Generally you can be honest here, as I do think it's becoming more common for people to visit friends they've met online, but a lot of people still advise against giving any hints of a romantic relationship (especially at your age, where you can easily pick up at and move). Since I am not personally experienced in this, though, I will refer you to other members of LFAD who have come to the states to visit and to visajourney's tourist visa section.
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

I don't remember really.. but thank you so much, this is really helpful and made me a lot less stressed

Comment

Working...
          X