Need help with English. IELTS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with English. IELTS.

I know this is not the place to post this, but I am desperate right now. I'm taking my IELTS test tomorrow.

I have a question concerning contractions and word count. In listening and reading parts there is restriction on how many words you can use (ex. you can answer with three words or less). Are words like don't, wouldn't, I'm etc. considered to be one word or 2 words? The Cambridge laguage test says that they are the same ammount as they would be when written out, so 2 words. There are several other sites that state thet contractions are counted as one word. In the official IELTS instructions they say "Contracted words will not be tested. Hyphenated words will be counted as one word" and I honestly don't understand what the not tested thing means.

Thank you!

Are all words counted the same way?

Unfortunately, no! Hyphenated words like ‘First-class’ or ‘State-of-the-art’ count as one word only. Contractions like ‘I’ll’ or ‘we’re’ also count as one word. (Ideally you should not be using contractions in academic essays).

Words like ‘a’ ‘an’ and ‘the’ are always counted towards the word limit.

Punctuation is not included in the word count.
    https://www.ieltsadvantage.com/2015/...ds-ielts-exam/

Generally, you should be writing out your contractions anyway. Things like "it's" and "couldn't" are considered less formal and not suitable for academic writing.
    Last edited by kittyo9; May 5, 2017, 11:43 AM.
    Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
    Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
    Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Thank you! I've read million pages and several of them have different infirmation. That is one page that i hadn't checked. I found another site that supported this statement. I'm not planning on using them in formal writing but in case that situation comes up in reading or listening. I don't want to lose points if i am allowed to write 3 words and I write don't (if it's in the text) and then mess it up due to word count.

In my personal opinion the official instruction of contracted words are not tested is not exactly a clear instruction, especially when they had these words in the practice test. Grr.

Comment

Originally posted by Rezie View Post
        Thank you! I've read million pages and several of them have different infirmation. That is one page that i hadn't checked. I found another site that supported this statement. I'm not planning on using them in formal writing but in case that situation comes up in reading or listening. I don't want to lose points if i am allowed to write 3 words and I write don't (if it's in the text) and then mess it up due to word count.

In my personal opinion the official instruction of contracted words are not tested is not exactly a clear instruction, especially when they had these words in the practice test. Grr.
        I agree, I don't think it's very clear either!
        Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
        Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
        Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Even I have been having trouble in finding a good institute for the IELTS training. It is quite difficult because I want to get enrolled with the best one so that I can pass the test it with good score in first attempt. Does anyone here know about the best ielts Mohali institute?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcquinn71 View Post
            Even I have been having trouble in finding a good institute for the IELTS training. It is quite difficult because I want to get enrolled with the best one so that I can pass the test it with good score in first attempt. Does anyone here know about the best ielts Mohali institute?
            Where I am from they only offered one place to train and to do the test so there are not many options. I didn't take any formal training. I did the practise test and watched some advice viseos from youtube and ended up with a very good grade. Since it is stadardised test that has official rules theoretically all institutes should provide equal training. I'm sure you'll do great!

Comment

Working...
            X