Summer in Norway! Also February visit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Summer in Norway! Also February visit!

So, as you all probably know by reading my signature, my fiancée finally came over to the United States from Norway . Sorry if I didn't post about that. I kinda...forgot about the forum. That went well. My parents really seem to like her, and I kinda got her hooked on a few American treats. I'm now sending care packages with Slim Jims and Milk Duds. We spent six days in New York, and two of those days we went to Times Square and saw plenty of sights. We went to the Disney Store, walked down Broadway (My favorite theatre there was the Lunt Fontanne done up like the Wonka chocolate factory!) and we even went to Madame Tussaud's, which was definitely both of our favorite part! When we were back in Massachusetts, we spent most of the time going to the different stores. My fiancée was amused particularly by Walmart. The highlight of our time in Massachusetts was definitely going to Magic Wings (a butterfly sanctuary) and Yankee Candle's flagship store. All in all, it was an amazing experience, and she definitely wants to come here again! Maybe next time we'll go over to Boston!

Now for Summer, I'm planning on going back to Norway for a little longer than two months (June 24th-September 10th.) The main goal of this trip is so I can see what kind of work there is (Full explanation on this post) and of course we really want to go sigh seeing. This will be the most amount of time I'll spend in Norway, so I'm sure we'll do plenty! We'll see what the future holds. I still need the permission for the time off from work. Of course, I talked to my manager and she did say that I can take all the time off I want, and they'll hold my position because I'm a good worker. She's leaving at the end of June, so she'll have to discuss it with whomever becomes the new manager. But there shouldn't be any problems there. All is going to work out in the end!
    "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

You need to stop focusing on the "what if" and keep focusing on the "what is."

First Time Meeting: August 10th 2014-August 21st 2014
    Second Time Meeting: March 13th 2015-March 20th 2015
    Third Meeting: December 27th 2015-January 21st 2016 (We got engaged!)
    Fourth Meeting: July 12th-August 25th 2016
    Fifth Meeting: February 10th-February 28th 2017 (My S/O came to America!)
    Next Meeting: June 20th-September 17th 2017 (Our longest visit yet!)

OMG. Your signature. I LOVE that scene from DW.
    I mean, congrats on positive news and upcoming plans. And it seems like you had fun on your visit :3

Comment

I'm happy to see another Whovian on here! And, thank you so much!
      "Love, it's not an emotion. Love is a promise!"- The 12th Doctor in Death in Heaven

Comment

Tickets ordered, and the visit will be June 20th-September 17th! About six weeks until I travel, yet I'm already feeling the pre-travel nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by AJG96 View Post
          Tickets ordered, and the visit will be June 20th-September 17th! About six weeks until I travel, yet I'm already feeling the pre-travel nerves.
          How exciting! Half the joy of a trip is anticipation!
          Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
          Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
          Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Originally posted by kittyo9 View Post
            How exciting! Half the joy of a trip is anticipation!
            Of course, of course! I've settled down a bit now, but I'm sure they'll come back soon enough.

Comment

Hi,

good luck on your long visit in June-Sept!

I am sure it will be wonderful, and that you will get a good chance to go sight-seeing. Norway in July and August is wonderful, and if your SO has time off to show you around and see the sights with you, I am sure you will have a sweet stay here.

Some words of advice, as it seems you have been slightly misinformed by the UD about Norwegian worklife: You are not allowed to look for work while you stay on a tourist visa and similar. If you want to look for work, you as coming from the US will have to do that on a seperate stay and you have to prove that you can support yourself while looking for work (which means you have to have saved up 20 000 NOK for each month of up to 6 months you plan to stay). There is a rise in Norwegian unemployment due to our "oil crisis", few jobs are hiring in July and August, and like I said you are not really allowed to look for work on your tourist stay anyway. If a person you know is willing to let you have a go at a job, you have to get a contract of full time work for at least a season, and apply for contemporary redicence ("work visa").

For a long term stay, unless you get lucky with a employer you know, you will have better chances coming here as a student. You can apply for financiation of your studies and you are allowed to work alongside your studies. If you have studied (and worked part time) in Norway, you have a much better chance at getting hired here full time after your studies.
              Last edited by differentcountries; May 22, 2017, 09:58 AM.
              I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
              - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
              X