Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Need some inspiration

  1. #1
    LFADdict
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,219
    Age
    35
    Location
    UK
    ♥'s Location
    USA
    Miles Apart
    ~3500
    Relationship began
    2012

    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 904 Times in 442 Posts


    Blog Entries
    20

    Need some inspiration

    It's my SO's birthday next month and I'm all out of inspiration. So good people of LFAD give me some ideas!

    He's going to be 30 so quite an important birthday and is generally is a geek/nerd. I don't mind making something but I just can't think what to make.

    Past gifts have included - photo albums of our time together, a painting, a new wallet from etsy, British themed gifts, books, cake delivered to his work (didn't go well!)....

    ETA: was thinking of something based around our co-ordinates but he's not one for jewellery.
    A flower can grow, but it can never change into a different flower.



  2. #2
    LFADvocate Array
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    157
    Age
    20
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    ♥'s Location
    India
    Miles Apart
    A lot
    Relationship began
    11/02/2014

    Thanks
    40
    Thanked 59 Times in 43 Posts


    I think for my dad's 30th, my mom made a big wooden sign in the shape of a quote that says something about who's the handsome guy turning the big 30? It still hangs in our basement 27 years later. For another of his birthdays, she hired a clown to dress up as a gorilla, walk into my dad's office, and throw a cream pie in my dad's face. Would not recommend that idea unless your SO is into that, which I'm assuming he's not from the cake saga. Maybe you could have your coordinates engraved into a leather wallet piece to go into the wallet you gave him? If that makes sense. Does he like to wear watches? There's super cool ones out there that can be engraved. Or personalized coffee mugs...wine glasses...
    I feel like anything I think of you've already thought about, so I'm sorry if I'm no help but good luck!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to autumn1790 For This Post:


  4. #3
    LFADdict
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,219
    Age
    35
    Location
    UK
    ♥'s Location
    USA
    Miles Apart
    ~3500
    Relationship began
    2012

    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 904 Times in 442 Posts


    Blog Entries
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by autumn1790 View Post
    I think for my dad's 30th, my mom made a big wooden sign in the shape of a quote that says something about who's the handsome guy turning the big 30? It still hangs in our basement 27 years later. For another of his birthdays, she hired a clown to dress up as a gorilla, walk into my dad's office, and throw a cream pie in my dad's face. Would not recommend that idea unless your SO is into that, which I'm assuming he's not from the cake saga. Maybe you could have your coordinates engraved into a leather wallet piece to go into the wallet you gave him? If that makes sense. Does he like to wear watches? There's super cool ones out there that can be engraved. Or personalized coffee mugs...wine glasses...
    I feel like anything I think of you've already thought about, so I'm sorry if I'm no help but good luck!
    Eeeek at the gorilla clown!

    The cake didn't go well as his coworkers scoffed the lot before he had chance to see it. I could get cake delivered to his home instead I suppose.

    I do like the idea of something to put in the wallet.

    His Mom has also suggested t-shirts as he refuses to buy himself new ones and she thinks they are looking grotty!
    A flower can grow, but it can never change into a different flower.



  5. #4
    LFADdict

    Array kittyo9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    Age
    26
    Location
    New York, USA
    ♥'s Location
    Ontario, CAN
    Relationship began
    02/17/2017

    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 111 Times in 57 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15

    Definitely LOTS of nerdy/geeky T-shirts around. I have to resist the urge to buy them constantly, as I almost never wear T-shirts any more. If he's in need of new ones, this may be a very good idea! What sort of stuff is he into?

    Those fidget cubes and spinners are also super popular right now. I would only give these as part of a larger gift, though.

    I like the idea of getting something from Etsy. Even something like an embossed leather keychain would work-- that's manly, right? And useful!

    Does he like beer? I know this is kind of weird but I saw this beer soap one time when I was at the Basin shop in the Grand Floridian and I wanted to get it for my SO. I wasn't sure if he'd like it, but he said, and I quote, "I would gladly lather up in that." I dunno if your SO is into that kind of stuff, and I can't find the beer soap any more (I wonder if they stopped making it ), but Basin makes a lot of really cool and original soaps.


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyo9 For This Post:


  7. #5
    LFADdict
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,219
    Age
    35
    Location
    UK
    ♥'s Location
    USA
    Miles Apart
    ~3500
    Relationship began
    2012

    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 904 Times in 442 Posts


    Blog Entries
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by kittyo9 View Post
    Definitely LOTS of nerdy/geeky T-shirts around. I have to resist the urge to buy them constantly, as I almost never wear T-shirts any more. If he's in need of new ones, this may be a very good idea! What sort of stuff is he into?

    Those fidget cubes and spinners are also super popular right now. I would only give these as part of a larger gift, though.

    I like the idea of getting something from Etsy. Even something like an embossed leather keychain would work-- that's manly, right? And useful!

    Does he like beer? I know this is kind of weird but I saw this beer soap one time when I was at the Basin shop in the Grand Floridian and I wanted to get it for my SO. I wasn't sure if he'd like it, but he said, and I quote, "I would gladly lather up in that." I dunno if your SO is into that kind of stuff, and I can't find the beer soap any more (I wonder if they stopped making it ), but Basin makes a lot of really cool and original soaps.
    Thank you, yes I think I can find a suitable t-shirt that is geeky enough for him.

    I don't think the fidget cube trend has hit here yet, are they super popular amongst all ages over there?
    A flower can grow, but it can never change into a different flower.



  8. #6
    LFADdict

    Array kittyo9's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,317
    Age
    26
    Location
    New York, USA
    ♥'s Location
    Ontario, CAN
    Relationship began
    02/17/2017

    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 111 Times in 57 Posts


    Blog Entries
    15

    Quote Originally Posted by 80anthea View Post
    Thank you, yes I think I can find a suitable t-shirt that is geeky enough for him.

    I don't think the fidget cube trend has hit here yet, are they super popular amongst all ages over there?
    Hm, maybe more popular with the younger crowd. Also seems to be popular with the creative/tech industry. The two friends who I know for sure have them are both about my age, both in the UK, and both in tech, but I see them mentioned by local friends on facebook with some frequency. I am probably part of a younger age group, though.


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to kittyo9 For This Post:


  10. #7
    LFADdict


    Array Redheart14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,520
    Age
    30

    Thanks
    358
    Thanked 812 Times in 541 Posts


    What about something like this but the coordinates of where you first met or something?
    https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/4852...ain?ref=market

    I buy my fiancÚ clothes. He won't buy them himself but does need them. So if your SO is like that maybe it's a good idea. What about a nice weekend together when you're together next?


  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Redheart14 For This Post:


  12. #8
    LFADdict
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,219
    Age
    35
    Location
    UK
    ♥'s Location
    USA
    Miles Apart
    ~3500
    Relationship began
    2012

    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 904 Times in 442 Posts


    Blog Entries
    20

    Quote Originally Posted by Redheart14 View Post
    What about something like this but the coordinates of where you first met or something?
    https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/4852...ain?ref=market

    I buy my fiancÚ clothes. He won't buy them himself but does need them. So if your SO is like that maybe it's a good idea. What about a nice weekend together when you're together next?
    I was thinking coordinates of where we both are but actually I really like the ones of where we first met. Thank you!
    A flower can grow, but it can never change into a different flower.



  13. #9
    LFADdict
    Array emsimes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,664
    Age
    26
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    ♥'s Location
    Chicago, IL

    Thanks
    1,549
    Thanked 508 Times in 258 Posts


    Blog Entries
    16

    How about getting him a pair of customized Converse shoes? With both of your initials stitched in them, or something like that

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to emsimes For This Post:


  15. #10
    LFADdict
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    2,219
    Age
    35
    Location
    UK
    ♥'s Location
    USA
    Miles Apart
    ~3500
    Relationship began
    2012

    Thanks
    502
    Thanked 904 Times in 442 Posts


    Blog Entries
    20

    Thanks all. I've gone for a union jack shirt, a nice one, not a tacky touristy one. Have a few other little bits to throw in the packet too. I looked at the etsy coordinates and it looks like it takes a while to arrive so I'll use them for another time as I need to get it sent in the next week.
    A flower can grow, but it can never change into a different flower.



  16. The Following User Says Thank You to 80anthea For This Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 20th, 2015, 01:26 PM
  2. Fights as inspiration for art :)
    By Irina_Linn in forum RambleOn!
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: November 11th, 2012, 05:08 PM
  3. Care Packages- Ideas & Inspiration
    By mrsbubbles in forum Things For LDR Couples To Do
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 25th, 2010, 02:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •