First relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First relationship

I got myself into a pretty rough situation. Not only is this my first ever relationship, we only got to spend two months together at college before summer snuck up on us and now we have three months apart. I didn't think it would be a big deal. The two months we had together were so wonderful and I have nothing but trust and respect for him. However, it has only been two weeks and my heart already aches. We went from seeing each other every day to this....it is a LOT harder than expected. We are also both working summer jobs and can't talk as often. I am making a point to text him once a day, even if it is just a goodnight text or a cute compliment to make him feel special, but I also struggle internally not wanting to be annoying. But honestly I want to talk to him all the time. I have no idea how to do most normal things in a relationship and am absolutely clueless when it comes to long distance. I know it is going to work and am very confident in us, just need to know how to handle the heart ache and how to stop myself from constantly counting down the days to the start of next semester. (Would love to enjoy summer)

It might seem like a long time, but in the long run, a few months apart is nothing compared. You adapt and get used to it. You're lucky.

Comment

Never mind being annoying. Be open with your feelings, he will reciprocate with his. If work schedules are off, make time for one another. These 3 months will be gone before you know it.
      It's almost been a year since I've seen my SO, and time flew by so fast while we kept busy working towards our goals.

Follow our story on Tumblr~

Comment

3 months sounds like a long time and feels like a long time but if you're both busy working over summer, then that should keep you both busy so that time will fly by. Think of the benefits - you're both working and earning money - the money you'll save can be used for future purchases, for example, date nights. Or, the money you earn can be used to treat yourself!

Hang in there - patience is going to have to be your best friend right now. As long as you maintain some form of communication with your boyfriend, you'll remain sane; you'll realise that you'll be fine and that you're strong enough to handle a long distance relationship. Sometimes things are worth the wait, and after all your hard work over summer, you'll get to see your boyfriend again and that's the best reward you'll get!

Also is there any chance that you can visit each other?

Comment

You will find in time you WILL be able to adapt. I havent seen my SO in over 6 months, and wont see him for another 3. It's tremendously hard especially when you are so used to seeing him every day, but believe me when I say, as hard as it feels right now, soon you will get used to this difference, it wont be easy, but it will get easier to adapt to. This is my first relationship too - we've known each other almost 2 years now. I still want to talk to him all day every day, that never changes for me! It's super tough but most of us deal with worse, and if we can do it, you can do it. You'll be fine

Comment

Honestly, thank you so much! This really gave me a new perspective on the situation. We did talk about visiting each other before we parted ways but it hasn't been brought up since then. I don't want to pressure him because me going to him or him coming to me is going to be expensive for both of us (broke college students But would love to see him. Also, so far we have just been texting but I would love to voice call or face time him...any suggestions on how to introduce that idea to him?

Comment

Thank you! I don't know how some of you do it! Hanging in there and finding hope and comfort in your stories and support! Thanks you

Comment

Originally posted by clairemarie View Post
                Honestly, thank you so much! This really gave me a new perspective on the situation. We did talk about visiting each other before we parted ways but it hasn't been brought up since then. I don't want to pressure him because me going to him or him coming to me is going to be expensive for both of us (broke college students But would love to see him. Also, so far we have just been texting but I would love to voice call or face time him...any suggestions on how to introduce that idea to him?
                Do you both ever message each other on facebook? My boyfriend and I frequently facebook call each other so we can see/hear each other. It's great and so easy when you can just alternate from messaging to video! It also has this really cool feature where you can turn your video on for them to watch you even if they arent on video themselves Just tell him you miss his face and would love to see it!

Comment

Originally posted by clairemarie View Post
                  But would love to see him. Also, so far we have just been texting but I would love to voice call or face time him...any suggestions on how to introduce that idea to him?
                  Just ask him. That's the easiest.

My lady and I have never met in 9 months and it will probably be anouter 17 months before we do. We cam once a week, chat every day, and if we want something, we ask. If it is not possible to do so, we tell each other that and why. 3 months is not that long and at least you know when you'll be seeing him, there is an enddate. I don't say it's easy, because it never is, but it is at lest you know when you see each other again.

Don't build your life around him, take him in your life. And about camming: just sat it would be so nice to see each other, and that it will make things more easy for both of you. I'm sure he'll agree.
                  Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Working...
                  X