First time in a long distance relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First time in a long distance relationship

Hi! My name is Kristin and I have been in a long distance relationship sine January. I knew my partner before this time, we have dated on and off before he moved to Dallas, which is almost 400 miles from me. Takes about 5-6 hours to drive there.

I am having a hard time dealing with the distance. I am currently finishing nursing school and will not be done until August 2018, then I will be moving up to dallas with him. So far, I drive to see him every 4-6 weeks and spend a few nights in dallas with him. He is currently looking for another job, and when he finds one he will start driving to me also.

Is there anything that eases the distance? Ive never been a clingy or overly emotional person, but as of late, I miss him constantly and the last time I was leaving him to come back home I cried. I dont typically cry in front of others.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Welcome to the boards.

I think you really need to look at the positives in in your scenario:

*You have an end date (many people don't)
    *You get to see your SO every 4 to 6 weeks, which is actually pretty good. (When I see my SO/husband next, it will have been 8 months since our last visit)
    *You are doing something productive that is going to be beneficial for your future by completing nursing school
    *You have many things to keep you busy during this time with school and friends

If you focus on the positives instead of the negatives, it will be better. I would also suggest that you need to give yourself something to look forward to once you get home from a trip. That can be out for dinner with a friend, taking time to watch a movie that maybe your SO wouldn't be interested in, etc. Your attitude is also going to be key. If you can wake up and be positive each day and go through those positivies, it's going to help.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Working...
    X