Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where/when do you find the cheapest plane tickets international?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where/when do you find the cheapest plane tickets international?

Hi there!

My SO is coming to visit me end of August into September (YAY!! That'll be 10 months since I've seen him ) and the prices from the UK to the USA have skyrocketed the past couple days. It's currently going to cost him over $1000 so my question is, where and when do you find it the best time and place to book a ticket? I check places like priceline, google flights, etc. etc. but they all come out around the same price :/ it never seems to go down, I've been checking for the past few weeks.

Thanks guys

Unfortunately that is about the price he will have to pay. I have never paid less than $1000 to travel to the USA.

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
      Unfortunately that is about the price he will have to pay. I have never paid less than $1000 to travel to the USA.

I say $1000 but it's actually $1200 and I know from experience with family it can usually be around $900 at the most! It was around that a few weeks ago but its just shot up didnt know if anyone had experience with certain websites or times of day it being cheaper?
      Last edited by chrelnka; May 23, 2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

You won't find a specific website that'll be significantly cheaper than all the others, it doesn't quite work that way. Using sites like Kayak and skyscanner are your best bet. Also, if he can have a very flexible schedule, use a website like bookingbuddy to set an alert for the routes that you want, and they email you the best deals as they come along. I did that and flew to Helsinki in march for an unbelievable $408 in March. Of course, nobody wants to go to Helsinki in March, so there's that. Good luck, but keep in mind that travel between the US and UK in the summer is never cheap. If there was one great site, or the perfect time during the day, we'd all be using it
        Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Also, clear your browser cookies cause sometimes sites keep track of what you search for and increase the price. Sometimes two single tickets are cheaper than a round trip. There's no best way to do this, but there are some tricks out there. There's probably more if you Google for them. Good luck!

Comment

Have a look at flying into and out of other airports too, it can sometimes be cheaper to do part of the journey by coach or train if it's an option.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
              Have a look at flying into and out of other airports too, it can sometimes be cheaper to do part of the journey by coach or train if it's an option.
              Definitely this. I live in New Hampshire and it's usually more expensive to fly into Manchester, NH instead of flying to Boston, MA. It's only about an hour to Boston, but it can make a few hundred dollar difference in the price.
              To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

May be out of the blue, but why don't you try searching from Italy? When I flew to New York in cost me 370€ back and forth and I always see sales around 400€. I recently got the newsletter and they were talking about August as well.

(I am talking about Alitalia though, which future is a bit unstable right now lol)

And Italy (like Turin or Milan) - UK never costed me more than 50€ with ryanair :P

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                  You won't find a specific website that'll be significantly cheaper than all the others, it doesn't quite work that way. Using sites like Kayak and skyscanner are your best bet. Also, if he can have a very flexible schedule, use a website like bookingbuddy to set an alert for the routes that you want, and they email you the best deals as they come along. I did that and flew to Helsinki in march for an unbelievable $408 in March. Of course, nobody wants to go to Helsinki in March, so there's that. Good luck, but keep in mind that travel between the US and UK in the summer is never cheap. If there was one great site, or the perfect time during the day, we'd all be using it
                  Oh no im aware it doesn't work that way, but I just wanted to know if anybody had a preference as i've always found some sites to be at least somewhat better than others thanks for telling me that about skyscanner, I discovered it recently but wasnt sure if it was any good. I'll look into booking buddy, thank you!

Comment

He is flying out of Manchester in the UK, perhaps recent events have something to do with the fact the prices went up so much?

The closest airport is Seattle which is still 4 hours away from my local one - we could book a separate flight for $74 which makes it a lot cheaper but then it runs the risk of his previous flight being delayed and him losing that ticket/money. It's a tough call! Might just have to spend the extra I guess. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

I have sometimes gotten better deals including an airport hotel layover, using a hotel search engine to find good deals and an airline search finder or two to match tickets. It may be 2 single tickets on a journey, but it could be practically impossible to miss (I have had over 10 hours layover, but if you stay in a hotel it does not feel that long).
                      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
                      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

Working...
                      X