Dress ideas 👗

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dress ideas 👗

So I'm looking for a dress that I could wear on our wedding day. We don't want a huge thing and I honestly can't see the point spending an absorbent amount of money on a dress. I know people will say go in store and try them then but it online, which makes sense, I get that. My question is, I'm vertically challenged (5ft 1) and finding things that fit is always so hard. I'm wondering if you know of particular styles of dresses that could suit short brides or styles that I could alter easily? I thought maybe if I look at those styles I might find a better fit and usually my tailoring is almost as much as the clothes sometimes. Any ideas/ suggestions would be awesome. Thanks again

My mom is also vertically challenged She bought a cheap lace prom dress for like $30 I think (college days). It doesn't have a train or anything...just a simple lace full-length dress. Maybe you could check online stores for a simple normal dress in the style of your choice.
    sigpic

Comment

Can't you make one yourself? Or have any friends that know how to taylor one?
      Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
        Can't you make one yourself? Or have any friends that know how to taylor one?
        I've no skill in that area and sadly don't know anyone who could assist. I've been researching and it's quite astonishing how in much the price increases when the word "wedding" is mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by autumn1790 View Post
          My mom is also vertically challenged She bought a cheap lace prom dress for like $30 I think (college days). It doesn't have a train or anything...just a simple lace full-length dress. Maybe you could check online stores for a simple normal dress in the style of your choice.
          this sounds like a great idea
          Le

Comment

I am also tiny and I think those sleek sheath dresses look great and they'd probably be the easiest to tailor on your own. Maybe like these? 1 2 3 Definitely looking in non-bridal stores will make it easier to find an affordable dress.

Married: June 9th, 2015

Comment

WeddIng dresses don't have to be expensive. Mine was only $350 from David's bridal last year. Fortunately, mine fit like a glove and didn't need a single alteration. Have you considered a tea length or short dress, or are you looking for a traditional wedding dress?
              sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

I'm liking the whole bohemian style and would like 3/4 to long sleeves as it'll be winter when we get married. I'm happy to go with something I can dress up and wear again for other functions.

Comment

I bought an ivory coloured dress from a regular store for about £50. The shop is Coast but I think it might only be UK. When I'm home later I'll try to find a photo.

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                    I bought an ivory coloured dress from a regular store for about £50. The shop is Coast but I think it might only be UK. When I'm home later I'll try to find a photo.
                    That would be great

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
                      I've no skill in that area and sadly don't know anyone who could assist. I've been researching and it's quite astonishing how in much the price increases when the word "wedding" is mentioned.
                      That's sad...
                      And yes, I know that. I've been married before :O
                      Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Sorry, it looks like I deleted ALL my wedding photos when I got divorced. It is worth looking in regular stores and not just wedding boutiques.

Comment

There are some really lovely dresses on Etsy that are either pre-made or can be made for you for relatively reasonable.

Also, David's Bridal has some clearance things you can order online, but...the fit may or may not be perfect.

There is also a website Pre Owned Wedding Dresses, and you could get a great deal on some designer gowns, but you are still going to pay a pretty penny. But, you would still get a deal.

With any of these options, sizing is always an issue, but the way I look at it, as long as you can get close, a tailor/seamstress can probably alter it the rest of the way. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by 80anthea View Post
                            Sorry, it looks like I deleted ALL my wedding photos when I got divorced. It is worth looking in regular stores and not just wedding boutiques.
                            Thanks for trying

Comment

Originally posted by MushuChicken View Post
                              There are some really lovely dresses on Etsy that are either pre-made or can be made for you for relatively reasonable.

Also, David's Bridal has some clearance things you can order online, but...the fit may or may not be perfect.

There is also a website Pre Owned Wedding Dresses, and you could get a great deal on some designer gowns, but you are still going to pay a pretty penny. But, you would still get a deal.

With any of these options, sizing is always an issue, but the way I look at it, as long as you can get close, a tailor/seamstress can probably alter it the rest of the way. Good luck!
                              thank you I'll try those sites

Comment

Working...
                              X