Do any of you track your partners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do any of you track your partners?

This came up in a Facebook I'm in and the amount of people doing it shocked me.

Neither of us have iPhones so it isn't really an issue anyway but apparently there is a feature on there where you can share your locations with other users. A lot of people in the group are 'sharing locations' with each other in a relationship so that they each know where the person is all the time.

So, I'm kind of intrigued as I seemed to be in the minority over there who didn't see the appeal of this at all. The thought of tracking my SO on my phone so I can see where he is at all times just seems creepy and invasive to me. If I want to know what he's doing, I ask him! Do any of you use this? Or would you if it was a feature on your phone?

Creapy. No, we don't do that. And I am pretty sure I don't want it, either. Feels like a complete lack of trust to me (of course some might say it makes you feel closer, but for me it feels like a complete lack of trust).

I fully agree: want to know what and where? Ask. Don't stalk on the phone all the time. No way I'll ever be doing that.
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Sadly the number of people doing this doesn't shock me, or even surprise me. I've never once felt the need to "track" what my SO is doing... I have to show him trust and he has to show me trust, that should be more than enough without the need to "track" your partner, or ask for their passwords to their social media platforms, or demand to know what they're doing every single moment of the day. I don't know how anyone can live like that.

Comment

Never in a million years would I do that. The amount of insecuity that someone must have to do this is amazing. It's probably the same people who think that being so jealous that their SO's can't talk to anyone of the opposite sex (or same sex, depending) means that they love them.
        To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Wow, I definitely think its creepy but also sad that people feel the need to do so.

Comment

If someone feels like they need to know where their s/o is 24/7, then they shouldn't be in a relationship with them since there's clearly MAJOR trust issues. That's so creepy.

Besides, everyone knows the best method of keeping tabs on your s/o is to have them microchipped. It's maybe $100 at your local vet.
            Last edited by Harlequin; July 18, 2017, 08:41 AM.

Comment

That's... really overbearing, in my opinion, and has all sorts of insecurity written all over it.

My SO has actually shared his location with me (permanently) via Google maps, for emergency situations, but I almost never check it and when I do, it's just for fun, 'cause it's like a little reminder that he's out there (he's usually at home, anyway). I've never felt the need to "track" him.
              Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
              Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
              Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

No. Neither of us would be caught dead using an Apple product!
                Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Letting my SO or anyone track me? I feel uncomfortable even by enabling my location, I have it turned off unless I really need it, and I have limited apps' permissions to locations and such things.

It's just wow. And I am someone who is often interested in what my partner or close person might be doing, that's not necessarily associated with mistrust to me. BUT why can't people just go and ask each other?

Comment

While I would never do this...

I think this is fine if it works both ways. Not that the other one is visible and the other one is not. Then it is equal. This same thing is automatically with all Snapchat users until.you manually mark yourself to ghost mode. Otherwise people can see on a map where you are snapping. When Facebook first came the foresquare was a big thing. Parents track their children through "find x phone number apps".

I personally would never do this or agree to it, it is still forced on us everywhere. It has become so normalized to know where people are that it's not a big deal anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Rezie View Post
                      I personally would never do this or agree to it, it is still forced on us everywhere. It has become so normalized to know where people are that it's not a big deal anymore.
                      If only it was only about location But eh, it's the world we should get used to living in and try our best to keep ourselves secure at least.

Comment

The only time I ever felt I wanted to be able to "track" my husband was when our relationship had deteriorated to the point where I could never trust where he said he was, and the lies upon lies kept me second guessing myself constantly.

So, no, I don't see the appeal of this.
                        So, here you are
                        too foreign for home
                        too foreign for here.
                        Never enough for both.

Ijeoma Umebinyuo, Diaspora Blues

Comment

I find it humorous in that even if my SO did let me track him, it would mean nothing to me because I've never been to where he lives and knowing which street he's on would do absolutely nothing for me. Even when he tells me where he's going, I have no idea where it is.
                          For people living together, I could see how it could be beneficial to know how far away SO in terms of meeting up, but if it wasn't mutually agreed upon for specific reasons, I definitely think it's weird.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Moon View Post
                            No. Neither of us would be caught dead using an Apple product!
                            LMAO! I love Apple products but this had me in stitches.

Originally posted by Rezie View Post
                            While I would never do this...

I think this is fine if it works both ways. Not that the other one is visible and the other one is not. Then it is equal. This same thing is automatically with all Snapchat users until.you manually mark yourself to ghost mode. Otherwise people can see on a map where you are snapping. When Facebook first came the foresquare was a big thing. Parents track their children through "find x phone number apps".

Sorry but... how is it fine at all? That's what I don't get. You shouldn't need to "track" anyone. It's just downright creepy. I suppose I can see it being useful with children or maybe vulnerable people, but your SO? Nope.

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
                              Sorry but... how is it fine at all? That's what I don't get. You shouldn't need to "track" anyone. It's just downright creepy. I suppose I can see it being useful with children or maybe vulnerable people, but your SO? Nope.
                              In my personal opinion if both parties agree to this then it is fine. If person A is not allowed to go out without person B tracking then that is not ok. If person B has not told that person A that they are tracked that is not ok. If person B tracks person A but refuses to be tracked themselves then that is not ok. If person A and person B has mutually agreed to track eachother then it is fine in my opinion. I would never want to be tracked nor do I want to track anyone.

When I was younger and out with my girlfriends. One of them was constantly tecting her boyfriend "we are going to haev dinner in restaurant x" "restaurant x was full so we are going to restaurant y" "now we are going to have drinks in bar j"etc. all the time. At first I was super shocked that she seriously accepts that she has to report every step she takes. She was very confused of what I meant since she expects her boyfriend to do the same, and he does. Well then we got to talking to how it's rude to friends but that is a different topic. So in their case I can this type of thing happening and who I am to say that it is creepy if they both agree to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X