Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, first post! little help please?

Hi,
    So i'm not entirely sure if this is fitting as it's my first post here.
    I began dating a girl in May, she's from Colombia but resides in Germany. We first met in April when I flew to see an old friend, my old pal introduced me to her best friend there, we got along fantastically, culminating in a food fight at a meal the three of us were having.

When I landed back in England we began chatting, hours on end, she said she'd like to come over to see Manchester as it's where our mutual friend is also from. I was delighted to meet her at the airport when she got here in May, over the following week we got to know each other a hell of a lot, we started dating the day before she left.
    I visited with friends to tour Europe less than three weeks later and the two of us hung out all of the time.

It is now July and it's been around 6 weeks since I last saw her, we message each other every day when we're not both working and video call too but it's just not the same.
    She told me a couple of weeks ago how she disliked the distance and it was getting her down, I missed her terribly but I feel that it is only now its starting to affect me. it's only 6 weeks, i'm aware there are plenty of people here who've had to be away much much longer, but there's such a myriad of emotions its hard to pin the ones that matter down.

I love talking to her but at the same time hate is as when we stop to work/sleep it feels so detached again, like they're there one minute and gone the next.

I feel jealous of all the people who get to spend more time with her, people who go out for drinks and to the movies with her, I feel that as we're together they're the basic things we should be able to do together and it's impossible because of the distance. Most of her friends are guys too so i'm extra jealous here, (not at all implying she might be messing around, just wish i was there to have a laugh with her too..)

I know i'm whining a little here, just wondering how people have coped with this feeling if they have felt it too.

Thanks

Focus on what you have, not on what you're lacking. Focus on your own things, your own life, and blend her in.
    So, here's my question to you: what do you have?
    You have a wonderful girl in your life, that loves you. You have a lot of contact, talking about I-don't-know-what (and that is not for me to know, either), and you have already been together.
    That is a lot.
    Now, focus on that. Get on with your own life, she should, too. Make time for each other. But don't live for the other. Live for yourself.
    Being in an LDR asks for a lot of strength - but also being in a CR asks for that, only in a different way. Don't think "I miss this, I don't have that". Think of the good things. That makes it much better.
    About being jealous: that's your problem. Work on that. Trust her and trust yourself.

Yes, of course I have the same feelings of being lonely, missing the physical contact, doing things together. But then, I have a great lady out there, waiting for me. Only for me. Now, isn't that what love is all about? Even though the distance is almost 7,000 miles, she's waiting for me. That is what makes me feel special.

I hope my reply is of any help to you.
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Thank you so much, you're reply really did help.
      I guess it's just a way of thinking i'm not entirely used to yet, thanks for clearing it up a little

Comment

Originally posted by SamJW View Post
        Thank you so much, you're reply really did help.
        I guess it's just a way of thinking i'm not entirely used to yet, thanks for clearing it up a little
        It is. You are spot on on that. An LDR is hard work, from both sides, but it can be so rewarding.

BTW welcome.

And you can always post a new thread with your questions - or happy experiences.

Comment

Thanks a lot!
          I'm sure i'll get used it

Comment

Originally posted by SamJW View Post
            Thanks a lot!
            I'm sure i'll get used it
            I hope for you, she also can do that.

Comment

Me too, we both knew it'd be tough, we were both willing to go ahead with it anyway.
              I hope thats enough for it all to work out

Comment

I get jealous of my SO's family because they can be around him all the time, they see him everyday, I mean they live under the same roof! I get jealous of all his friends who see him everyday because it's a luxury they have and I don't. And it's okay to feel like that. But I try not to dwell too much on it. Like erwin said, you have to focus on your own life, the positives of your LDR and partner, and not to dwell on the negatives so much. Healthy behaviours and attitudes go a long way especially in an LDR. No matter the distance.

Comment

I know I know,
                  it's just happened all so fast, one minute i seem to be spending all the time in the world with her when she's here and the next we're miles away and I don't get to even talk person to person with her.
                  Thank you

Comment

Working...
                  X