Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going overseas to visit my love. My Mom knows. My Dad does not.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going overseas to visit my love. My Mom knows. My Dad does not.

So I am going to visit my girlfriend of 14 months in the Philippines for the first time in August. It is my first flight, and also my first time overseas. I really love her and I really can see myself spending my days with her.

My Mom is informed that I am visiting her, and she is okay with it. Stressed, but okay.

My dad on the other hand is not really involved in my life. He lives 5 hours away and whenever we chat it is about the weather and how my studies are going.

I did ask him for a lift to the airport. So I will be going his way this week. He does know I am going overseas, but he does not know it is to visit my girlfriend.

At 9 days away, I do not want to inform him. As this is an exciting time for me with the woman I love. I do not want him to jump me with all kinds of catfishing accusations and general negativity before my trip.

At this point I just want to get there in the Philippines and then inform him, so he can see it is safe and that she is a decent person.

Am I doing the right thing? Just really conflicted about the way forward.
    Last edited by Herrie678; July 22, 2017, 12:24 PM.

If it was me, I'd let him know the gist of what was happening. But you're 22... you don't need your parents' approval to make your relationship right. You're old enough to lead your own life and do your own thing. Advice I should take myself, yet never do :P

Comment

I think that it depends on the relationship that u have with your father and how he is ... in this case i can see that ur two are not that close and he might be close-minded ( not to offend of course) so it may be better if u tell him about the relationship and the meeting after it happens... it will make ur trip more enjoyable and without the pressure and the bad toughts about ur dad's possible opinion. I hope i helped

Comment

Yeah. He really is not that invested in our lives. I have had to pay my own studies and everything so he really is not that preoccupied with me and my bro. He has his own life there. But yeah, I think I am keeping it quiet until I am with her at least. Not gonna let him spoil this for me with negativity and doubt. Thanks��

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
          If it was me, I'd let him know the gist of what was happening. But you're 22... you don't need your parents' approval to make your relationship right. You're old enough to lead your own life and do your own thing. Advice I should take myself, yet never do :P
          Lol don't we all. I'm still a kid on the inside. I mean he knows I am going overseas. Just not to visit my girlfriend. He is not part of my life. He chose his life so I rarely talk to him about things. I do not even know how he would react. Thats why I wanna rather keep quiet for now. I do not need negativity before my first flight.

Comment

Originally posted by CatRibba View Post
            I think that it depends on the relationship that u have with your father and how he is ... in this case i can see that ur two are not that close and he might be close-minded ( not to offend of course) so it may be better if u tell him about the relationship and the meeting after it happens... it will make ur trip more enjoyable and without the pressure and the bad toughts about ur dad's possible opinion. I hope i helped
            Yeah. He really is not that invested in our lives. I have had to pay my own studies and everything so he really is not that preoccupied with me and my bro. He has his own life there. But yeah, I think I am keeping it quiet until I am with her at least. Not gonna let him spoil this for me with negativity and doubt. Thanks��

Comment

Working...
            X