Complicated long-distance relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teens Complicated long-distance relationship

Hello, everyone!! About a year ago, on a site for penpals and language learning, I met a girl that would change my life forever. I'm a sixteen-years-old from France and she's a seventeen-years-old girl from the Netherlands. We became friends and quickly added each other on Skype. A few months later, in the beginning of November, I've started to feel something for her, when I wrote a poem for her.
    On January 22th, I told her my feelings, timidly, and she did too. That was one of the most beautiful days of my life. We talked about wonderful projects and meeting, talking to our parents about it, and so on. But, there was a problem. A big problem. Without which I wouldn't be there, on this forum. She has a depression. I knew it and I've always motivated her; she even told me I was helping her. I reassured her about distance (there are about 461 km) but about her depression... I didn't know what to say. So we decided to think about it and she told me she would really like to love me as I do, but that her depression makes her confused.
    In February, we both decided to stop talking to think. I needed some time but she did need more because we haven't spoken since this moment. It's been six months we spent a wonderful day, and also that she's thinking.
    During these past few months (from February to June), I've learned what real patience and love are, and I'm waiting for her to come back, even if she told me by messages that we should stop talking, stop being friends... I can't believe her because, otherwise, she would remove me and she wouldn't be connected almost everyday (she doesn't have other contacts on Skype). While waiting for, I've changed and learnt to be positive and continue living. I've also prepared surprises for her, but I had to cancel the most important one because of money problems (going to the Netherlands to meet her).
    I've been on different forums, websites and read many things about depression and I know what is it now, and I understand her more. She told me, recently (last month) that she's okay and that she's happy for me because I'm better (I had some psychological problems).
    On June 17th, my birthday, I've 'showed' her a big surprise. For six months, from January 22th to now, I've been maintaining a Skype conversation with quotes, texts, songs, poems, and so on. About what I feel. I think she read everything but she didn't really answer. I'm still waiting but I feel it's gonna be okay soon. I've sent her a message yesterday and she's more and more connected; plus, we both have our vacation so it makes things simplier.

So, thanks if you have read this and you can ask me everything. I think I need some help and support. Thank you very much.

Depression can be a real pain in the backside in an LDR. In mine, I'm the one who has it, and whilst it's never been formally diagnosed, I know it's been there since I was about the same age as you. It started because of years of bullying at the hands of schoolkids and got worse as my health took a nose dive. In recent years, it's gotten better and now that I've graduated university, I'm coming off the medication I take that helps with it. Mostly because I don't want to be reliant on medication, and partially because of being with my SO. He's really upbeat and laid back about most things, and I honestly don't know how he does it, especially in his line of work. In my experience, depression has been difficult to deal with, because it takes a lot out of you mentally and doesn't help physically either. But if you do your best to keep busy and your mind occupied, it goes a long way to helping with coping. I've found it really difficult this time being in an LDR (this isn't my first) mostly because I know the issues between me and my SO wouldn't be quite as they are if we were close distance. We've had 3 planned meetings fall through (we haven't met yet, I'm hoping in the new year to be there for 2-3 weeks) and it's really tested our limits. TLR, depression isn't easy to cope with but keeping busy, doing things you enjoy, your outlook on life, they all go a long way to helping you cope.

I'm not sure if there's any particular advice you wanted, but I would say be sure she isn't leading you astray whilst she makes you wait because she's thinking. Sure, taking time out to consider what she wants isn't a bad thing, but 5-6 months of not talking? I would say be cautious, and proceed with care. I'm guessing if you had each other on Skype you've already voice chatted or video chatted at least once, so you probably know she is who she says, but still, be careful. You're still quite young.

Comment

Hi, thanks. Thank you very much, it helps me a lot We've indeed talked a lot with voice and seen our faces a few times. I know, thanks
      To be honest, I made searchs. I know her family name and her city (she does too for me) and I searched... I found where she lives (address) with phone numbers, her ancient Facebook page (she doesn't go on it anymore), a photo of her school... I seem to be a psychopath but I was just curious and wanted to make sure I can trust her. It's the case, I think. I also found two Youtube pages.
      Regardless, I also found a way to contact her family... a Dutch friend of mine did tell me some advice to call there... should I do? It's a bit difficult x) waiting is too hard; it's been almost six months. Thanks

Comment

I wouldn't call her family unless she is totally okay with it and has stated you can. It might make things extremely awkward and difficult.

Comment

Ah okay, then I think I can't. I would have liked to tell her but since she hasn't answered for now... I need to wait. Then I will wait Thanks!!

Comment

Working...
          X