Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a few questions involving isolation and making friends in a new country

Hello all,
    I'm writing again. I made a thread here yesterday about my partner moving here in January on a tourist/bridging Visa waiting for a hopeful outcome on the Defacto Visa he'll be applying for.
    He has family friends in Sydney who had moved to Australia a very long while ago, but he doesn't really know anyone else here apart from me.
    Obviously,, he will meet all my friends and family and my parents have already said they'll support him as much as they do me, which is great. However, I'm hoping he'll be able to make friends of his own as I know that's so important.
    So I do come to you all with another question: For those who have moved to another country to be with your SO, how have you been able to make friends of your own? And have you felt isolated at all? How did you overcome that?

Thanks in advance; This is all so new to us, and I'm trying to think of as many things as I can to help in in advance of him moving here.

Ta again.
    Met Online: 1998
    Relationship began: January 2017

FIRST MEETING: June 2017
    SECOND MEETING: October 2017

I guess it depends what kind of person your SO is!
    My best friend is my husband's best friend's girlfriend haha But I do consider a lot of my co-workers as very close acquaintances so I guess that counts too.

I am not a very social person, I enjoy my alone time in front of the computer so it never REALLY bothered me. It's definitely nice to hang out with her, but I think the beauty of our friendship is that we both are busy and just enjoy the times we do get to be together, once a week or sometimes less.

That's not a very helpful insight, but meeting all of your friends is definitely helpful as I do consider his friends my friends

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
    First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
    Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
    Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
    Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
    Married: 1/24/2015
    Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

No, I appreciate every single comment; thanks. Love your username by the way.
      Yeh makes sense; I'm just trying to cover everything; it's the least I can do since my partner is moving all the way across the world for me.

Congratulations also for having closed the distance. How wonderful for you both.

Comment

I'm rather in the same boat as you...worried how my SO will make friends here, especially because I know he has a very close friendship with several guys back home. He tells me it's fine and he'll make friends, but I searched around on Google for, like, backup options. I found a cricket team at what seems to be another branch of Purdue which I'm sure he'll probably get involved with, and there's a Hindu cultural center/temple in Chicago that seems to host festival celebrations if he wants to go. Maybe looking for activities and groups he enjoys will help ease your mind that he can fit in and thrive. (Hasn't entirely eased my mind to be frank, but maybe it can ease yours!)
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, good idea. special interest groups. I'm trying to encourage him to join a couple of "Americans in Melbourne" fAcebook groups as at least he could feel more at home talking to others in similar situations.

Comment

Hello

Special interest groups are definitely a good idea - Ex-pat meet-up groups etc. I will be going through this same thing myself in a year when I move to be with my partner. I will have the added bonus of having to also learn the language (even though most people in Switzerland speak English...it is important for me to learn and speak German to assimilate myself better into my life there). I am already learning it but I have a long way to go.

When I moved to the USA many many years ago - I found that I found most of my new friends through working. But as is with Snow, I am also happy in my own company and don't need a lot of external social interaction - but it is important for me to find at least some friends. I find that having some hobbies helps with this.

I think having the support of your family and friends is really important - but I also agree with you that he will need to make his own friends too. It will happen as long as he gets out there and tries Us Aussies are pretty friendly

Comment

Working...
            X