This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parents and Meeting Dilemma

Hi there, my name is Miki and I'm in a bit of a pickle...
    A few months ago, I met someone online. Before his message, I had never spoken to anyone online, let alone heard of the term LDR. Little did I know that that notification on my phone would change my life like this.
    He was fascinated with Australia (where I am from) and I dream of studying in Germany (this is his home!). We speak for hours each day and due to the time difference, although it is a rather large pain in the ass, I have fond memories of lying in bed watching him go about his business of his day with Skype on until I fall asleep. We are inseparable even though we are separated.
    There is a slight problem in this scenario however, my parents hate the Internet with a passion. They have theories that the government is spying on us through our cams and all of this overly paranoid stuff. So naturally, I am unable to tell them about my online interactions.
    Now as luck would have it, I have recently won a piano competition stage which has allowed me to progress to a venue in Berlin in December. And the first thing that came to mind when I found out was that I was finally able to meet him. I will be going with my mother and I fear that her watchful eye and strict style of parenting will prevent me from doing so.
    I really love my parents. I don't want to lie to them ever and it makes me feel like absolute shit hiding my boyfriend from them. But I also really love this pretzel eating perfection and I can't live with the fact that this beautiful creature will only remain in my phone when I will be so close to him so soon.
    So basically, it is out of the question to tell my mum and dad of how we met. It is not in their nature to understand it and it's almost inconsiderate on my part to attempt to explain it to them. Apologies for such a hideous essay but I guess I just really wanted advice. It would be greatly appreciated if you could forward this to anyone that you know that has experienced anything like this also.
    Thank you so much!

Originally posted by myfriendchopin View Post
    Hi there, my name is Miki and I'm in a bit of a pickle...
    A few months ago, I met someone online. Before his message, I had never spoken to anyone online, let alone heard of the term LDR. Little did I know that that notification on my phone would change my life like this.
    He was fascinated with Australia (where I am from) and I dream of studying in Germany (this is his home!). We speak for hours each day and due to the time difference, although it is a rather large pain in the ass, I have fond memories of lying in bed watching him go about his business of his day with Skype on until I fall asleep. We are inseparable even though we are separated.
    There is a slight problem in this scenario however, my parents hate the Internet with a passion. They have theories that the government is spying on us through our cams and all of this overly paranoid stuff. So naturally, I am unable to tell them about my online interactions.
    Now as luck would have it, I have recently won a piano competition stage which has allowed me to progress to a venue in Berlin in December. And the first thing that came to mind when I found out was that I was finally able to meet him. I will be going with my mother and I fear that her watchful eye and strict style of parenting will prevent me from doing so.
    I really love my parents. I don't want to lie to them ever and it makes me feel like absolute shit hiding my boyfriend from them. But I also really love this pretzel eating perfection and I can't live with the fact that this beautiful creature will only remain in my phone when I will be so close to him so soon.
    So basically, it is out of the question to tell my mum and dad of how we met. It is not in their nature to understand it and it's almost inconsiderate on my part to attempt to explain it to them. Apologies for such a hideous essay but I guess I just really wanted advice. It would be greatly appreciated if you could forward this to anyone that you know that has experienced anything like this also.
    Thank you so much!
    As a parent, I can tell you that consequences were much worse when my child hid something and I found out later instead of them just telling me. When you hide things and they are found out (and trust me, they get found out), it makes it hard for a parent to trust their child and then tighter restrictions are put on them.

Now, I see you are 18. Are you still living at home? If so, then even though you are an adult you have to live by their rules. That being said, you are an adult and need to learn to how to deal with difficult situations. This means being able to discuss with your parents the fact that you know someone in Germany and you may have the opportunity to meet them when you are in Germany.

It is doubly important that if you do meet him while you are there that someone knows all of his contact information and may have also met him before. That's just for safety on your part. I was in my early 40's when I met my SO in person for the first time and my family had his name, address, the name of his company and pictures of him. I had to send pictures of us together when I arrived and check in every day. No matter how well you "know" him, you still need to take precautions and your personal safety into account.
    To those who dream, nothing is ever far away.

​Distance is to love as wind is to fire. It blows out the little ones and fans the big ones.

Comment

Working...
    X