Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What should I do?

Hey everyone!

I've decided to register with this forum site to gain more of an outside perspective on my situation. I live in England and my partner lives in Chicago, which equates to approximately 3,820 miles and a lot of heartache, as I'm sure many of you will understand. We met last summer (June 2016) and really hit it off as friends, and in May this year we began talking more and more. This is where my situation begins to get trickier: on April 6 this year, my partner lost his father to cancer and I know that they were a very close family.

In the first few weeks, my partner was very good at communicating with me and would call on a whim, send lots of texts; he'd basically take the reigns and it was great. At the beginning of last month he decided that he wanted to see me sooner than January and so he bought my flights to Chicago and I stayed with him and his family for the duration of my stay. Despite not seeing each other physically for over a year, the chemistry was definitely there. When we're together in person, we're very relaxed. We can sit in silence and it's a comfortable silence. We can mess with each other without the other getting offended, there's a lot of banter. We can be best friends and a couple at the same time.

I flew back to England last week and since then I've noticed that I've been having to really reach out to him. He doesn't communicate as much, or call on his own accord, I have been having to ask and in the seven days I've been back, I think we've had maybe three phone calls - only one of which was over an hour; but all of which were instigated by me. It's really starting to bother me, but I know that he has a lot of emotional baggage and I'm sure there is a lot of psychological trauma that I am not aware of because he's not very good at opening up to me. He wants to be strong because that's what his dad told him just before he died, but I know he's broken. I don't want to put pressure on him by whining about the lack of communication and the fact that it's making me feel lonely, but at the same time I don't want to be stuck in a long distance relationship where it's very one sided and I'm having to do everything. I almost feel like I'm sitting through a 24/7 game of poker.. I'm always trying to think how to play my cards, and he's always got his poker face.

I just don't know what to do. He's said that we can FaceTime this weekend, which I'm hoping does happen. I should also mention that when we have been able to talk on the phone, we discussed a time frame for this relationship and he said 'Now that you've been here and I know for sure that we do have the connection, the timing doesn't bother me. You're dating the most patient guy in the world', so his words are sweet and wanting towards me... just not so much the actions.

I'm just a little stuck on what to do and need some advice because this is driving me insane.

Thanks!

Sometimes after a visit I feel very overwhelmed since when we are together we really are together. So after one of us goes back home I have this urge to be by myself and reaclimate to my normal life. Even if we are together only for a weekend. Could be that there was so much pressure for the trip that he needs some time.

Maybe give it a bit more time like a week and if it doesn't go back to normal then talk about it.

Comment

Thank you for your response Rezie.

I should perhaps mention that I was in a long distance relationship with another man between June 2016 and January 2017. After my visit last November to see him, he went MIA and very distant during the six weeks before he came to visit me for New Year (during which time I found out that he'd been cheating on me but only came because he couldn't get a refund, and during his stay here he was on all sorts of dating apps talking to girls here) so perhaps I'm just letting my past get to me more than I should.

I agree with your advice though. Do you think I should try stepping back?

Comment

He's probably still grieving, and the distance between you both is probably taking its toll as well. I wouldn't step back completely, I'd give him a little bit of breathing room, but don't overwhelm him with your concern either. Be there for him, let him take the time he needs. 4 months isn't a long time, my SO lost his grandmother to cancer last year and he's still not fully recovered. If things don't improve, then you're likely going to have to put your foot down firmly, and remind him that he's not the only one who's upset. I'm sure you are too.

Comment

I don't think there is a reason to step back. Maybe not send heart emojis every minute but the standard "how was your day?" Is good. Funny thing about grief is that it can come and go in intervals. You can be fine at times and sometime it's overwhelming. So a bit of time you being normal is what I would do and if it doesn't change then I would bring it up. Say something like "I've noticed that you have not been as communicative in the past x weeks, since I visited you" and then work from there.

Comment

I know your fears exactly. Before I dated a guy 6 months LD, I had a short run w/a guy also LD. When he left for home (he was staying in my city for school), everything changed and after a lot of asking on my end, I found out he no longer wanted to date. Although weary I met another guy online LD and tried that out. I was so paranoid he would also go MIA, but he didn't. At least not at 1st. He came for a visit and the communication got really bad, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. A couple weeks later, I found out he no longer wanted a relationship despite reassuring me. Through dating, I learned two lessons, always believe in actions not words and follow your gut instinct. If a guy is proclaiming his love to you, but isn't showing that to you, then he isn't telling the truth. If you feel like the guys doesn't make you a priority, you aren't a priority. There is no reason why the guy can't communicate w/you more and someone who wants to will communicate as much as they can. Be careful and don't settle for something one sided, you deserve so much better. I did care about my long distance ex, but currently I am dating a guy who actually communicates w/me every single day and it isn't even long distance. I don't have to ask for him to call me or to text me, we just do it automatically through the day.

Comment

Thank you all for the advice.

We didn't speak an awful lot on Friday because he was with his family, which I appreciated, but that night he went out spontaneously and didn't let me know. From 3,820 miles away, I like to know if he's going to be going MIA so that I can respect the space and let him have a good time but obviously we've been having communication issues lately anyway.

I work Saturdays, and recently I've been sleeping through my alarm so before he decided to go out I'd texted him to ask whether he could call me at 6:45am my time (12:45am Chicago) and he said of course.. My 7am alarm went off and fortunately I woke up, but hadn't had any messages from him, which I don't mind. I didn't get mad, because there have been occasions where he's fallen asleep and then woken up and said he was sorry but this time I got a text at 10am (4am Chicago) saying 'the noise is too much and I can't control it', which confused me, and then I didn't hear anything until 6pm that evening. He said his head hurt, and I just said 'Thank you for letting me know you were going out', and I then lost it and said about there being a lack in communication and that distance isn't easy etc. which he read and didn't reply for six hours.

His response then made out that I was over thinking everything, and that he didn't know what to say. I then apologized and yesterday he was saying that he was confident that we could work through this and that he would be concerned if we didn't have any rough patches, which made me feel comfortable and as though we could move forward from this.

This morning however I woke up to a call at 5:30 am (11:30pm Chicago) and he said that my two 'personality traits' ie. wanting an update when he's going out, and wanting phone calls/talking more than he can, are bothering him and he wants space to make up his mind. Of course I'm going to give him space, but what has frustrated me is that he's made it out to be almost entirely my fault and he doesn't appreciate that a 30 second text just to update me would have saved all of this hassle. I said that if he was a little more invested then I wouldn't have to ask what he's doing, and that it would be easier if he could let me know when he's busy and that he should follow through with his promises when he says he's going to call.

I've got exams to study for and I know that this is going to have an effect on me (he wants a few days) so in the beginning my guard came up and I said I could make the decision for him and that if he's feeling like this, we should cut all ties and move on.. but he wouldn't accept that. He didn't know where his head was at; he said he was torn between pursuing a future with a woman he likes a lot and has a huge connection with, but has these personality traits that aren't ideal for him (mentioned above - that I don't think are personality traits, because I would change them if he communicated better), or whether he lets me go and tries to find a woman with all of my qualities but who is more 'chill' and won't ask for anything. At the time I wished him luck in finding her, because I'm sure he would have this with any girlfriend at some point - long distance or not.

I just don't know what to think. Or do. Also, it's his birthday on August 17 and I've sent him a card (with a letter enclosed) and a nice present. If I haven't heard from him, do I still wish him happy birthday? I don't really want to text him before he's ready, but equally I don't want to ignore his special day. That might sound ridiculous, but I'm so confused right now.

Last edited by awills1; August 14, 2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Well there were a few things I agree on with him and see myself in him. I also can see your point of view. All.these became insignificant at the point where he needs a few days to figure out if he wants to leave you for having certain personality traits or if he is is going to accept you for who you are. Also you should just wait around for his decision? In all for taking a few days and telling the truth but that is just unkind and you shouldn't have to accept that. This turned from a problem with the distance to him not accepting you.

As for the birthday. If you want to, text him.

Comment

awills1,

Please read the sticky here.

It is suggested that we do not use anything other than the standard font/color/size/etc. Please use black text.

Comment

Originally posted by hmrambling View Post
                    awills1,

Please read the sticky here.

It is suggested that we do not use anything other than the standard font/color/size/etc. Please use black text.
                    That's rather heartless, to respond to the OP pouring their heart out with a rebuke on a technical detail. Sorry, OP.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry to hear that, wanting to be part of his life being so far away isn't a bad personality trait. He sounds non committed and prob used those excuses to get out of the relationship. Don't text him unless he texts you, but being in a one sided relationship is not fun and is extremely hurtful. I learned through dating, good communication isn't something you have to ask for, that should be automatic on both sides. Once a partner asks for space or time to make a decision, the relationship is most likely over, at this point he already made a decision. You deserve way better.

Comment

I've seen MIA a couple of times now... It's not Miami... What does it mean?
                        Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
                          I've seen MIA a couple of times now... It's not Miami... What does it mean?
                          Missing in Action.

Comment

Originally posted by Honour View Post
                            Missing in Action.
                            Thank you.
                            Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Hi awills1,
                              I'm sorry to hear you guys are going through a tough time :/
                              Just my two cents here... my SO (who also happens to live in the Chicago area) lost his dad quite suddenly about 2 years ago. They were very close, and his death has been extremely hard on my SO. He still struggles a lot with it, and usually there's nothing I can do but be a shoulder to cry on. It sounds like your SO isn't his normal self, and he probably needs a lot of time to grieve. I'm sure it's hard not talking for a few days, but maybe that time apart will give him the clarity he needs to decide what he wants. Hopefully, that decision leads to you. Wishing you all the best

Comment

Working...
                              X