Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What defines a long distance relationship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

30+ What defines a long distance relationship?

I'm going to tell you my complete story.

I'm 42 years old and had separated from my ex-husband last year due to Domestic Violence. I have two children from that marriage.

I have a great support group and people surrounding me to help cope with a few highs and lows of it all. Of course, he has taken all of our mutual friends.

One day, I felt like I wanted a friend too, and so I looked online. I tried a few sites, one of which my ex-husband got on and found my profile and requested to make contact with me. I immediately deleted my profile. My ex-husband had told me that he had found my profile and that it was clear that I wasn't looking to date anyone, just to find a friend for conversations.

A number of months had past and this time I thought I'd give Tinder a bit of a light hearted go. There were a few men there who seemed okay. However when I made contact with them it would be nothing but crickets.

Then Mr Beautiful came along. Obviously he had liked me because I showed interest (is it swiping right?) and it was a "match". I sent him the usual "Hi! How are you"? And of course heard nothing. A few days had past and so I sent another message "Yeah, good thanks. How are you?" to which he responded. We met on Tinder in March 2017. I'm in Australia and so is he but he lives 216 miles away from me. We got along very well online but decided to meet halfway within a week of online chatting.

I did everything backwards and by what is completely not suggested as I didn't meet him in a public place. When I first met him it was to spend the weekend away with him. When I first saw him sparks flew. I usually can tell if my feelings are leaning towards a "no" but I never got that with him. After the initial "hi", a kiss and a hug we emptied my car and walked to our cabin. It was a two bedroom and he let me have the best bedroom.

Had a bit of dinner and a chat over a few glasses of wine. I felt like I was answering a lot of questions and wanted to find out more about him. But I was also nervous. That night I went to bed alone.

The next morning we had breakfast together, and then he had a business meeting with a client (as he runs his own businesses and serviced that area), so I was alone for an hour or so. I spent that time walking along the beach and cleaning up the cabin a bit.

When he got back, we headed off to a local natural pool. It was beautiful. We both got in the water. I loved this part so much - he held me. Either I faced him, or I had my back to him. When I faced him our kisses were rather passionate. When I had my back to him we talked about all sorts of things like me having a birthday a few days away from his daughter's birthday - establishing that I am a Taurean, or the colour of my toe nails, which on this day were a deep aqua colour.

The next morning his Dad phoned. He was heading by to go back home, and so he headed out to meet up with him as he passed through. There was a cyclone on it's way, and so once again I found myself alone, beach combing and that's when mummy guilt kicked in and also panic about preparing prior to the cyclone. I headed back to the cabin and started packing my bags - as I had to leave that day anyway. I think he was a bit upset that I had pretty much had the car packed when he got back. He gave me a big kiss and told me "You are a strong and beautiful woman". I'll never forget that.

In April he had gone on a holiday with his family (his parents and his brother) and of course there were school holidays. Our text messages sent to each other were incredibly romantic. He had texted me that he was falling for me. It took me a day or so to text him that I too was falling for him.

We had organised to spend my birthday weekend together on a nearby island. Our trip over to the island for the weekend was perfect. It was the last boat, so the sun was setting and the lights of the town were sparkling. We sat close and he had his arm around me. The weekend was magical. Then heading back home (we were on a ferry off the coast) I was having an internal argument in my mind, as I was wanting to see him again, but I was wanting an honest answer from him. The other side of my brain was saying "well of course he'll say yes because it's your birthday". I felt more and more sure that he wasn't going to want to see me again and I was suddenly reading it in his body language. He asked me "penny for your thoughts"? And all I could say was "there are too many thoughts". When he dropped me off back home he told me he wasn't ready for a serious relationship. "What are your thoughts" he asked. Of course I wasn't ready either. But I wanted to keep things light and continue in getting to know him. When he left I cried for the rest of the day. It took me a week to text him after that weekend, to say that I had thought about what he had said and that I was hoping to continue getting to know him.

Then our texts slowly picked up from there. A few cheeky sexts (initiated by him) and lots of romantic swoony type texts. On the phone he always calls me "my darling" which melts my heart. Some of his text messages included indications of him liking me.

We finally met up again in early August for a mid week frolic! It was great! We were lying on the bed in the morning (as the motel room was rather spartan) and we were talking about all sorts of stuff. He bought up the subject of marriage "If I was to propose would you say yes"? "This isn't a proposal" he added. I told him it was too soon to make a decision.

We've had lots of texts and a few phone calls since then. We haven't had the "exclusive" chat yet and we haven't told each other that we love each other. I'm almost at that point of being able to say it, I'm pretty close to falling in love with him. But I need to see him a few more times I think. I also bought him a book in August, which I am looking forward to giving him.

How does one really know when they are in a long distance relationship?

My guess is that the two of you will have to define for yourselves if you are in a long distant relationship together.

You said that your ex took all of your mutual friends. I encourage you to make other friends outside of that long distant relationship. Please do make this new fellow your support group and all of your social life. Find new friends. If you put all of your stock into this one person to be your friend you will soon learn that humans always let you down.

Comment

I know what you mean. I had already made a bunch of new friends long before Mr Beautiful came along.

How does one start the talk of whether or not we're in a relationship? This is all new to me.

Comment

Working...
      X