Kind of closing the distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kind of closing the distance

I am new to the forum. I have had a chance to read some other threads.

While I am located in the UK (and likely to be for some time) and my SO is located in the US (and also likely to be for some time) (children for both of us). We are thinking about a kind of stop gap measure. What we are thinking is if we can find somewhere that has cheap international flights from both the UK and the US. We have tried various google searches and we don't appear to be having much luck.

What we are hoping is if we can find somewhere "in the middle", then we could meet there and hopefully buy a small place that we could rent out to cover some of the costs, but so we would have our own place too, that we could escape to together, for relatively low cost.

It might be that such a destination doesn't exist, but it's something we would like to explore. Any tips or location ideas from fellow LFADers?

Thanks

Hi and welcome.

Well... Somewhere in the middle. Sinds the US is quite big, and I have no clue if she lives on the east coast, west coast or somewhere in between, or north or south... I have not idea where 'somewhere in the middle' geographically may be. Probably somewhere in the middle of the Atlantic... May she be living on the westcoast, it may be an idea to meet on the eastcoast, so you both have a flight that might be affordable.

I think the best solution, of course depending on the children, and their age, and if you can 'drop' the with their other parent, is to take turns visiting one and another. May be that is an idea? It's a long flight, so don't expect anything for less then hundreds of pounds. When I am lucky, my ticket will be 'only' € 720...

I wish you good luck.
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Oh good call! She's in Arizona. We didn't know if there might be somewhere in Europe that might have cheap flights if that makes sense.

Comment

And yes that's the current best option

Comment

Looking at the map... it looks like Maine is quite somewhere in the middle. But mind that she's having a continental flight in her own country, and you're going intercontinental, so you're always going to be paying more money.

When going to another country first, mind that that
          1) adds loads to your travelling time
          2) can end up more expensive than a direct flight
          Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
            Looking at the map... it looks like Maine is quite somewhere in the middle. But mind that she's having a continental flight in her own country, and you're going intercontinental, so you're always going to be paying more money.

When going to another country first, mind that that
            1) adds loads to your travelling time
            2) can end up more expensive than a direct flight
            Not necessarily I paid much more for my flight to California last December than I did Helsinki in March. Visiting areas off-season can be pretty reasonable, if you plan it well, and are flexible.
            Our separation of each other is an optical illusion of consciousness. ~Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
            X