Family Meeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family Meeting

My fiance and I just got engaged after a 2 year long distance relationship. We're planning for the wedding to be in Jamaica 2018, where's he's from and lives, but my family has never met him in person. I've met and talked to many of his family members in my many trips there and have developed relationships with most of them but my family only talks to him when I'm around since he and I are constantly skyping. I've also discussed the possibility of my family going there with me, after they asked to, but they canceled. Now that we're wedding planning most of my family seems unsure and uncomfortable with the situation. How do I deal with this that??

What made them cancel?

Comment

They simply changed their mind and no longer wanted go

Comment

Originally posted by Shnikers27 View Post
        They simply changed their mind and no longer wanted go
        For something as important as that, you don't just 'simply' change your mind. There has to be more than that.

I have no idea if you still live with your parents, what your age is. But I guess you're an adult (since you're getting married) so that means you are entitled to make your own decisions. And not living with your parents will make that easier, of course, because you're not seeing them all the time. Well, easier... less complicated is the better word, I guess.

I'm sorry to not be able to answer your question, though.
        Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

My family, more so my mother, feels like he should come here first. Not sure what her reasoning is behind that. My decision is definitely final on marrying him but of course it would be easier if they'd support us seeing as though coming to the states isn't easy

Comment

Originally posted by Shnikers27 View Post
            My family, more so my mother, feels like he should come here first. Not sure what her reasoning is behind that. My decision is definitely final on marrying him but of course it would be easier if they'd support us seeing as though coming to the states isn't easy
            I can imagine why she would think that. No matter how old you are, you'll always be her little girl. I see that between my 96 year old grandmother and my 69 year old mother. And meeting someone for the first time - a possible son-in-law - makes it maky easier for her to accept. Are you planning to leave your country and live with him, or is he coming to live with you? That would also make a difference.

And yes, I know how hard it is when parents don't support the whole LDR-thing. I have the same situation. And I'm 44 now. Not that it changes my mind, but it would be so nice to talk with my parents about all the great feelings I get from my lady, and how happy she makes me. I understand you miss that, too, and that is difficult.

I want to end my answer with my compliments that dispite your parents' (mothers) actions, you go on with your own plans. It takes some courage to do that!
            Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Working...
            X