My first visit to her...gift?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first visit to her...gift?

Teeny bit of background: we've met once when she came to my continent, but for only a few hours. Things have changed a lot since then, and I'm flying over to her in less than a month for a 12 day trip, my first time on her continent.

Now, when I get off the plane I want to have something special for her. Something simple, but sweet. Obviously, it's something I have to pick up, and figure out, but I was wondering what others have given their SOs that was a big hit? I can't exactly meet her in the airport with flowers after I've come off 10 hours on a plane...

Thanks!

You could order flowers online.
    Something from your country that she might like such as food or lollies.

Comment

Maybe chocolate, or a bracelet or something. If it comes down to it, you could always get flowers when you get there, it doesn't need to be right off the plane. Or maybe a combination of all those things.

Comment

I gave her a charm bracelet for her birthday... I planned on making some pumpkin spice bread, since that is so very American, so maybe that and a little charm? Something else quintessentially American? Idk what, lol

Comment

If you go sightseeing together maybe buy a momento from the gift shop that'd be a special reminder of somewhere you went together

Comment

I would do something personalized and that speaks volumes about your relationship or story? My bf has always joked how he wanted one Christmas onesie like the one I sleep in that he thinks is extremely sweet and cute, I couldn’t find one for him so instead I sent him a soft Christmas blanket he could cuddle with and told him it’s technically mine but he can borrow it until I visit him and use it to cuddle together.

It was a surprise too, a simple one that didn’t require too much complexity, just lots of heart.

I wouldn’t do flowers, they leave no real memory or touch. Too basic imo.

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
              If you go sightseeing together maybe buy a momento from the gift shop that'd be a special reminder of somewhere you went together
              I was planning on that! She is very into photography, and loves taking candid photos. I was planning on picking up a nice frame and having one of her photos printed for it. I hope she likes it!

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhoney View Post
                I would do something personalized and that speaks volumes about your relationship or story? My bf has always joked how he wanted one Christmas onesie like the one I sleep in that he thinks is extremely sweet and cute, I couldn’t find one for him so instead I sent him a soft Christmas blanket he could cuddle with and told him it’s technically mine but he can borrow it until I visit him and use it to cuddle together.

It was a surprise too, a simple one that didn’t require too much complexity, just lots of heart.

I wouldn’t do flowers, they leave no real memory or touch. Too basic imo.
                That is so sweet! And generally I prefer useful or longer lasting or more meaningful things, but I do appreciate the gesture behind flowers. Especially a simple one or bunch, just a pretty way to say you're thinking of someone. I never got the grand gestures like gigantic bunches of roses though. Or even randomly chosen jewelry. I spent not a lot of money, but a lot of time choosing the design and charms for the bracelet I bought her. I would much rather that than someone spending 10x as much on something picked just because it's pretty and you need a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Flautist2000 View Post
                  I was planning on that! She is very into photography, and loves taking candid photos. I was planning on picking up a nice frame and having one of her photos printed for it. I hope she likes it!
                  That is a great idea.
                  Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by Flautist2000 View Post
                    Teeny bit of background: we've met once when she came to my continent, but for only a few hours. Things have changed a lot since then, and I'm flying over to her in less than a month for a 12 day trip, my first time on her continent.

Now, when I get off the plane I want to have something special for her. Something simple, but sweet. Obviously, it's something I have to pick up, and figure out, but I was wondering what others have given their SOs that was a big hit? I can't exactly meet her in the airport with flowers after I've come off 10 hours on a plane...

Thanks!
                    I have a great idea. My husband and i do this all the time....but it would be for AFTER THE TRIP. TAKE lots of pictures. When you get home go online and make a hard cover photo book. My husband does this for every trip we take, regardless of how short the trip is. We were in Chicago this past weekend. I am expecting my book next week. We photograph everything.....our food and drinks, signs, sites and tons of selfies. And the front cover us ALWAYS a selfie! I love our books. We keep them in the living room and look at them all the time. Just a thought.....
                    sigpic

I love him. Forever. And every day after that.

Comment

Originally posted by TaraMarie View Post
                      I have a great idea. My husband and i do this all the time....but it would be for AFTER THE TRIP. TAKE lots of pictures. When you get home go online and make a hard cover photo book. My husband does this for every trip we take, regardless of how short the trip is. We were in Chicago this past weekend. I am expecting my book next week. We photograph everything.....our food and drinks, signs, sites and tons of selfies. And the front cover us ALWAYS a selfie! I love our books. We keep them in the living room and look at them all the time. Just a thought.....
                      That sounds awesome! And it could definitely be a surprise. It's a lovely way to mark the time together until you're ready/able to close the distance. And then a nice tradition to continue as you have trips or anything if you do go for the long haul. (Which I'd really like). Thanks!

Comment

I agree with everyone else about something thoughtful to commemorate your time together. Honestly, the best present of all is going to be you.

But, if you absolutely want to have something when getting off that plane, you can't beat flowers. Many airports already have flowers ready to go at their gift shops or other kiosks that sell them. So, you may be able to get the flowers before you even meet your beloved. I am not much a flower person, BUT...there is something so romantic about a bouquet of flowers at the airport.

Comment

Just don’t go over the top please otherwise I think it loses the sincerity of it, you know what I mean? Simple things from the heart are what felt the most, sounds like a cliche but it’s so true. My ex used to go over and beyond and it felt fake at times if that makes any sense?

Let us know what you decide to do! I’m excited.

Comment

OK, so, I've decided on a small charm for the bracelet I bought (several reasons I picked it), a homemade quick bread or muffins, and a little mini pumpkin if it fits in my bag. Pumpkins for fall/Halloween aren't as traditional where she lives, and she has a hard time getting baked goods that she can eat. I'll do the photo book afterwards.

Thanks!

Comment

So cute! I like the food and pumpkin cause it’s new to her, but also the charm and book cause they’re long lasting!

I’m going to give my bf a pumpkin spice little container cause he was mentioning how they don’t do that in Sweden and he wanted to make it himself. I want him to know I listen and remember even the smallest random things.

Comment

Working...
                              X