No announcement yet.

Meeting parents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omg, TIL (Today I Learned), Finnish has the exact same structure when referring to people politely, it won't be needed with his parents, but it's so relieving if I ever learn the language and move there.

The structure is using second person plural instead of first one when referring to someone formally.

Comment

We must not forget that OP's SO lives in Eastern Europe. People there are much more into close family then we in the West are.
      Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

mg, TIL (Today I Learned), Finnish has the exact same structure when referring to people politely, it won't be needed with his parents, but it's so relieving if I ever learn the language and move there.
        The structure is using second person plural instead of first one when referring to someone formally
        People often ask you to use the less formal "sinä" instead of "te" due to it making them feel old. You usually do it with older people. It's still polite but slowly fading away from the everyday language.

We must not forget that OP's SO lives in Eastern Europe. People there are much more into close family then we in the West are.
        I have the opposite experince. All the families of my russian friends are pretty distant and politely formal. Where as Spain and Italy...oh dear. My SO after 5 years is scared of my family cause we are close and so lively eventhough the sterotype is formal, rigid and generally overly polite. I guess we can conclude that all cultures and then families inside the culture are different

Comment

Originally posted by Rezie View Post
          People often ask you to use the less formal "sinä" instead of "te" due to it making them feel old. You usually do it with older people. It's still polite but slowly fading away from the everyday language.
          The same here (in Georgia) basically, it'll just fade away way more slowly and later

Also, where are you from? I just realised I don't know.

Comment

Just came in to say thank you for a enlightening culture lesson, I had no idea there was so much behind what you call an SO's parents.
            First Met Online: April 2016
            Started Going Out: September 18, 2016
            First Meeting: Jan 11-18, 2017
            Next Meeting: Nov 8-12, 2018

Comment

To Erwin and Rezie : I already asked my SO how to call them, she told me it was okay to call them eomma and abba. They appreciated me using these words. As I said in my previous post in this thread, I considered it was okay to call them this way.

Comment

Originally posted by C.C. View Post
                The same here (in Georgia) basically, it'll just fade away way more slowly and later

Also, where are you from? I just realised I don't know.
                Finland 😁

Comment

Working...
                X