Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marrying between countries

Forgive me if this isn't relevant here.

But I wondered what people did for those in international LDR's. Did you have one wedding in one country? Or did you decide to have two 'weddings', or one wedding in one country and another kind of celebration in the other country (e.g. perhaps the engagement party or coming back in a few months for a small ceremony). I'd just love to chat with people on what and how it was decided.

My oldest sister just had one Westernized ceremony in the country her husband came from...my other sister had a western wedding/reception here and a traditional wedding/reception in her husband's country. I guess it's all about what you want to do.
    sigpic

Comment

It depends a bit on visa issues and how easily movable people are and the cost of the party/parties. For us, it would be simpler to marry in his country because his relatives would not get visa to my country, it would also be cheaper. On the other hand, immigration is easier if we marry in my country. So one option could be to split the legal wedding ceremony from the actual "bigger" wedding party, and have just an initimate second wedding for the legel ceremony. My friend did it like that with his now Turkish wife, and they were able to have a big party in her home town as well as a fast immigration process.
      I made love to him only twice, she thought and looked at the man laying asleep beside her. And yet still it is as if we have been together forever, as if he has always known my life, my soul, my body, my light, my pain
      - Paulo Coelho, "Eleven minutes"

"Bız yüzyılın aşkı vardır" - We have dated since Sept. 2013. To see our full story, click here https://members.lovingfromadistance....and-our-visits

Comment

I lived in Naples, FL and moved to Northern China (Hohhot, Inner Mongolia) and we recently were married. Here in China, you get a marriage certificate first, then have a wedding. We are going to have two; one here in China, and one in California.

Comment

My first LDR was between The Netherlands (my country) and Ukraine. We married only there, and got the marriage submitted here. That was good enough for the Dutch law. We're devorced again. Since my ex went back to Ukraine for a holiday (she's officially Dutch now) I guess she did the divorce there, too. Actually, I never asked. I should have.
          Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

We got married in the US and once we visit my family in Austria we plan for a big party. Husband is scared of planes so we'll see how this works out lol

Relationship began: 05/22/2012
            First Met: 03/21/2013 - 03/30/2013
            Second Visit: 06/06/2013 - 08/21/2013 ~ Proposal: 07/06/2013 ♥
            Third Visit: 10/09/2013 - 01/08/2013
            Closed the distance: 11/20/2014 ♥
            Married: 1/24/2015
            Became Resident: 9/14/2015

Comment

Originally posted by snow View Post
              We got married in the US and once we visit my family in Austria we plan for a big party. Husband is scared of planes so we'll see how this works out lol
              This is what we are doing. We've decided on wedding in the US. And hopefully in a year or two we will return to Australia for a celebration. I was hoping to do something in Australia beforehand, even an engagement party but looks like that won't work out.

Comment

Working...
              X