Marriage +Visa Process = Stressful!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marriage +Visa Process = Stressful!

Anyone going they or have already been thru the spousal visa process? That's the next steps after we get married but I was hoping on some insight regarding the process.
    ❤Jamaica 》US❤

Yes, I do. My ex wife was a J1 Fulbright Scholar, we met in college and after dating for a year or so got engaged. We were too slow on the INS paperwork to keep her in country so she had to return to Panama. After a few months we got the right paperwork filed and she was here to stay. This was 20 years ago or so, so things may have changed, but I would strongly suggest going to an INS office, plan on killing the day, and dropping about $200 in fees or so and get started soon. Take notes as to the agent who helps you, if they're good, be sure and ask for them next time, that shortens the time on the next visit. Also be aware that there will be 3-6 trips to INS to get the paperwork filed, 20 years ago it cost us about $2000-$3000 in fees total, so it's not a small investment and it's probably gone up! Haha. Anyway good luck, our marriage lasted 20 years, we have a great son together, even though we're split up now, we're still very good friends and co-parents. Good luck on your adventure.

Comment

I think it might be quite different, RWhiz-- the process nowadays consists almost entirely of forms that you print and mail yourself.

Are you looking at going the Fiancee (K-1) visa route, or getting married and returning to your respective countries and then applying for spousal sponsorship (CR1)? A good place to start is on the US gov websites themselves.

K-1: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...iance-k-1.html
      CR1: https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...or-spouse.html

visajourney.com is also a good place to do some reading on more specific situations.
      Canadian permanent residence APPROVED!
      Closed the Distance: 09/26/2019
      Engaged: 09/26/2020

Comment

Working...
      X