In the news today: A Catfishing With a Happy Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the news today: A Catfishing With a Happy Ending

A Catfishing With a Happy Ending: Emma was deceived by an older man on the internet—and then found love with the model whose photographs he had stolen

Link: https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...sinker/542748/

What about the possibility of this actually happening?

Pretty slim I guess

Comment

It's rather annoying to me how the article goes on and on and on..like, get to the point
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by autumn1790 View Post
        It's rather annoying to me how the article goes on and on and on..like, get to the point
        2 versions of TLDR -- (too long, didn't read)

From the summry website:

A Catfishing With a Happy Ending
        "Makes me happy to know that," Emma replied.

In August of 2016, nearly a year after his and Emma's relationship began, Alan had computer troubles.

"Don't talk to me about trust, Alan Stanley!" Emma yelled.

From a quiet corner of a half-decorated shop, Alan called Emma back.

"I'm 34 at the time, but maybe another girl, when she finds out, she could maybe go too far, maybe kill herself." After the big reveal, Emma asked Alan if he wanted to meet her.

"My catfish became cupid," Emma told the Daily Mirror, "And now we're living happily ever after." Soon, other victims of Alan Stanley reached out to Emma.

"He's lovely," Emma said, "He's a lovely man." Currently, Adem is chasing his acting dreams in London, and says he recently auditioned for Aladdin, the original, Arabian catfishing story.

From freesummarizer.com:

Pictures from Emma and "Ronnie's" profiles on Zoosk; "Ronnie" is pictured wearing Emma's favorite leather jacket (Instagram) When he discovered that Emma spent three hours a day commuting to work, Alan encouraged her to find a local job.

In August of 2016, nearly a year after his and Emma's relationship began, Alan had computer troubles.

When he sent Emma a message, it sounded like Ronnie, but the email address said "Alan Stanley." But even in his telling of "the truth," Alan told Emma he was 50, shaving off a few years.

"It might sound cruel what I'm going to say," Emma told me, "but I carried on talking with him, after I knew who he was, only because I wanted to know why he did that to me," Emma said.

After the big reveal, Emma asked Alan if he wanted to meet her.

When he heard how Alan had tricked Emma, Adem was furious.

After the call, Adem and Emma exchanged text messages, but Adem soon packed his bags and returned to the village whence he came.

I wondered if Alan arrived in London hoping that Emma would overlook the difference between him and the model.

Comment

From another TLDR website:

(https://www.tools4noobs.com/summarize/)
          And in a world where Alan felt ugly and invisible to the opposite sex, Emma showered him in “adoration.” In his mind, Alan minimized his lie: “Everything I told her about me, apart from who I was, and the age, was true.” “I couldn’t believe it because ... you talk to someone every day, and you share your life.” One night, after the last customers left Zizzi, Emma closed the restaurant with a popular, baby-faced Spanish waiter named Abraham.
          “I couldn’t believe it because, you know ... when you talk to someone every day, and you share your life ... he was my confidente.” And why would somebody claim to be someone else online? “Another girl, when she finds out, she could maybe go too far, maybe kill herself.” Julie Albright, a digital sociologist at the University of Southern California, says catfishing can be addictive: “Suddenly finding success with romantic partners online is exciting, and in fact intoxicating for certain people,” she said, adding that catfish often target more than one victim: “Putting several hooks in the water and getting several relationships going is the way to hedge your bets.” In August of 2016, nearly a year after his and Emma’s relationship began, Alan had computer troubles.
          He was curious to meet this beautiful French girl, and sure, in London! On March 31, 2017, Emma sent her catfish a goodbye text message: “Alan I wanted to tell you that tomorrow I’m going to pick up Adem at the airport.
          “My catfish became cupid,” Emma told the Daily Mirror, “And now we’re living happily ever after.” Soon, other victims of Alan Stanley reached out to Emma.
          “I’m 34 at the time, but maybe another girl, when she finds out, she could maybe go too far, maybe kill herself.” After the big reveal, Emma asked Alan if he wanted to meet her.
          It was, Alan said, a “big error of judgment, the worst and biggest mistake of my life.” But even in his telling of “the truth,” Alan told Emma he was 50, shaving off a few years.
          A compilation of two photos: a woman on the left and a man on the right Pictures from Emma and “Ronnie’s” profiles on Zoosk; “Ronnie” is pictured wearing Emma’s favorite leather jacket (Instagram) “You could easily have picked someone else,” Ronnie told her one day.

Comment

Working...
          X