Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Distance Newbie

Hello Everybody,

I am 16 years old, and I am in a long distance relationship. I recently moved from Denver, CO, to Zimmerman, MN. I understand that many of you are much more mature than I am, and may be chuckling at how naive I am. And that's okay, I would likely be doing the same. But please note, that just as all of your first love's were real for you, mine is just as real for me. As silly as it is, we have promised each other to one and other. We are not engaged. We are simply committed. My parents have agreed to let me go down for prom in May to see him. I am very grateful for this. I never realized how easy it could be to stay loyal before we moved. I feared I would be unable to give him the commitment he deserves.

However, I recently have been feeling terribly excluded at school. Nearly everyone at my school consists of the same, or, similar demographic. For one, Zimmerman is a very conservative location and Denver is rather liberal. My boyfriend is Native American and Mexican. When I tell people this at my new school, I receive a lot of harsh criticism. i am a white lady and most of my class if white, where as at my previous school, diversity was seen as a normal thing.

I have no intentions of complaining. I am in hopes that any of you lovely people could help me figure out a way to politely and respectfully combat these comments i've been receiving.

Thank you so much for reading my post, I really, really, appreciate it!
    He who gives you inexplicable happiness will always be he who gives reason for your inexplicable sadness.[/I] [/I]

Hello and welcome to LFAD!! As long as you are happy the opinions of others don't matter unless you make them matter.

Comment

Hi there! I am new here too

Comment

Thank you that means alot, also congratulations on your wedding.
        He who gives you inexplicable happiness will always be he who gives reason for your inexplicable sadness.[/I] [/I]

Comment

Hi! Welcome, as well. ;D I have been in a Long Distance Relationship for four months.

Comment

Hi and welcome to the wonderful world of LFAD. And the forum.
            Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Thank you, I love your Distance quote.

Comment

Comment

Welcome to the Forum! I just recently joined as well.

Don't worry about what other people think, most importantly don't try to sacrifice your own happiness to try and "please" these people. Your boyfriend makes you happy so don't apologize to other people when they criticize you!

Laugh off their criticisms. If you really want to be savage, next time someone tries to make you feel bad for your relationship, just respond with:

"Oh, so why don't you tell me how perfect your relationship is.

Nothing is perfect, live life to the fullest 125% and don't let these people make you feel down.

Comment

Welcome to you as well!

I love your input, Thank you so much for your help.

May I please ask, how long have you been in an LDR relationship?

Comment

I started dating my girlfriend my Senior year in High School while she was a junior (2014). I moved to NYC for college and still visit my home sometimes for school breaks where I see my girlfriend in California. We're both finishing up college now (I'm a Senior about to graduate, and she's a Junior in College in California) and this is going on our 5th year of our relationship and about 4 years of Long Distance

Comment

That's a really beautiful story. I'm happy to hear how well it has worked out for you both. I hope my boyfriend and I can be as successful as the two of you have been.

Comment

Thank you! It's definitely possible to thrive in a LDR; the key is to make sure you don't let people's judgement overtake your confidence in the relationship
                          Transparency in communication is also vital.

If both of you are willing to put in the work, the relationship will prosper and everything will be alright.

Comment

Working...
                          X