Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Sure Where to Begin! (IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Sure Where to Begin! (IT'S FINALLY HAPPENING!?)

SO. HUGE news update, regarding my LDR.

There's been a lot of changes since the last update (which can be found here).

(Yes, I'm aware it's past 4 AM in New York rn. And I don't particularly care right now since I can't sleep, anyway.)

Anyway, here we go.

1. First things first. My fiance didn't end up going to Las Vegas for work due to the fact the law firm there couldn't and/or wouldn't hire him due to the fact he didn't take the bar exams at the time. So, that basically meant until they saw results of whether he passed or failed, hiring him was out of the question. (Spoiler alert: he chose not to go out of his own accord because, while it does fall under Immigration Law, even if he passed the bar, they were giving him a low starting salary. Which was wrong since his law school has records of much starting pay their law graduates get once they enter the law field in California.)

2. Bar exam results came by last month. He passed the bar exams! So, I was invited to go his swearing in ceremony, where he would be taking oath as initiation to become an official attorney. Bonus points that the ceremony's date was actually on our thirteenth anniversary (December 1st), so that also meant we could finally celebrate our anniversary properly for the first time since we were always physically apart on this day. So, this being our third visit this year (new record for us in the relationship, overall), I flew in California and stayed there from November 29th to December 3rd (by the time I landed back home, it was December 4th in the early morning).

3. As a result, my fiance is taking up his law school's incubation program. Meaning, starting next year, he'll be doing solo practice for legal experience once he enters the law field. This is especially beneficial to newly appointed attorneys who want to eventually establish their own law firms. He always did say it was his dream to be a lawyer and to have his own law firm, so this is to his advantage. The incubation program will be for a year and he'll be doing pro bono for the meantime until he's eligible enough to get paid as a professional lawyer. So, while that's happening, he'll be having a side job or two to sustain himself financially. (Yeah, he got a side job in the evening as a language instructor/tutor for military personnel.)

4. Before I flew out, since I still wasn't prepared by fall time, I have officially enrolled last month in UCI's Paralegal Program (Compressed Version) for this winter quarter. So yes, I am not only a paralegal candidate in the program (as my acceptance letter from last winter states) but I'm officially enrolled as a student on campus. I just got done with nabbing housing near the school, I just need to sign the contract. The contract will be up until September 4th, so it gives me ample time for a lot of things.

By compressed program, it means I'll be learning the ropes of being a paralegal in 3 months time (if I had gone with the original flow of the program, it would've taken me 9 months to finish). Basically, all 11 courses are crammed in from January to March, typically on a Monday to Thursday sched (Fridays aren't occupied except when exams come up).

5. And so, because of all of this, it officially means that I'll be finally moving to California next year/month on January 2nd. Since my classes start on January 3rd, I'm taking an early morning flight there to prepare stuff and to be able to relax/see friends.

However...

This doesn't quite mean my fiance and I will be living together just yet. Because of graduation and bar exam prep, he wants to--at least--gradually whittle down the debts he had built up. Plus, we'll also have to see how he'll do in solo practice. But he did tell me if things go well, depending on what will happen, he will finally be moving out to get his own place either within next year (at a later period) or early 2019. Meanwhile, I'll be concentrating on paralegal school until March. Then, as soon as I get my certificate around spring, I'll have to worry about finding work and staying self-sufficient for a good amount of time.

To be honest with all of you... my feelings have become overwhelming more and more lately. I'm uncertain, nervous, anxious, stressed, and I sure as Hell feel like I don't know wtf I'm doing. Yes, I'm excited but I still need to keep myself from not going way over my head just yet. Especially when I need to concentrate on doing well in school first.

...But at least I'm closing much of the distance between us. Just one step closer after a long wait.

Well, that is a lot of good news. And although you might not be living together, at least you're a lot closer than you are now, right? So, congratulations.
    Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
      Well, that is a lot of good news. And although you might not be living together, at least you're a lot closer than you are now, right? So, congratulations.
      Yes, that's true. We're going to be in the same area (Orange County), but in slightly different parts of it (I'll be in Irvine and he lives in La Habra). So, we're not that far from each other, actually. It's just we now have to wait how things go and it won't be long before he finally moves outs from his family's home, which is something he had intended to do for a long time.

But yeah... I am only settling what I couldn't do a decade ago due to the circumstances of that time. ^_^ So, thank you!

Comment

I have not idea where Irvine and La Habra are, related to each other, and in the US at all, to be honest. But I am sure it's closer than from New York. I'm happy for you.
        Distance means nothing when someone means everything.

Comment

Originally posted by erwin1973 View Post
          I have not idea where Irvine and La Habra are, related to each other, and in the US at all, to be honest. But I am sure it's closer than from New York. I'm happy for you.
          They're both in California, about 30 minutes apart by car and 1 1/2 hours by public transportation (provided that you won't get caught up in traffic). But yeah, definitely closer than New York since we're on opposite sides of the US! (Me being in the East Coast, him out west.)

^_^ Thank you.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by Redheart14 View Post
              Congratulations
              Thank you so much!

Comment

It's quite impressive that you managed long distance for such a long time. You give me hope! I am very happy for you, this is a huge step forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Elisabetta View Post
                  It's quite impressive that you managed long distance for such a long time. You give me hope! I am very happy for you, this is a huge step forward.
                  The distance would've been settled a decade ago, had certain circumstances not gone in the way. So, this is me making amends for what the eighteen-year-old me couldn't do back then. Though it still surprises me how we've managed to stuck it out in long distance for this long.

I'm glad I give you hope. In fact, it's why I felt compelled to tell my story here after having gone silent for some time.

Thank you so much~ Although I still feel anxious and uncertain, I'll fight for this with all I have!

Comment

Working...
                  X